Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » text wrapping problem in merged cells
text wrapping problem in merged cells [message #1118593] Fri, 27 September 2013 15:10 Go to next message
Gibran Shah is currently offline Gibran ShahFriend
Please have a look at the screen capture below:

http://www.birt-exchange.org/forum/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-59956-0-17652800-1380221999.jpg

The table you are looking at has a problem wrapping text. You can clearly see that in the header:

Business
Activity
Detail

I merged all four cells in the grid's header and then plopped a label into it and added the text "Business Activity Details". But it seems to think it has to wrap the text where the right edge of the first cell used to be (as if it's still there).

You can see this in the last two rows as well. In the third from last (where it starts with "Class 'E' preference shares:") I tried checking "No Wrapping" in the General tab of the label properties, but as you can see, I DO want wrapping (otherwise the text goes off the edge of the grid), just at the right edge of all four merged cells.

Can someone help me? Thanks.
Re: text wrapping problem in merged cells [message #1138436 is a reply to message #1118593] Tue, 15 October 2013 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

What version of BIRT are you using? Any way you can attach a report I can run that will show your issue? Thanks.

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: text wrapping problem in merged cells [message #1176607 is a reply to message #1118593] Fri, 08 November 2013 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joe Busby is currently offline Joe BusbyFriend
Gibran,

Did you ever resolve this problem? Would you post the fix? I am having the same problem with a birt report in Kepler Service release 1 Thanks.
Re: text wrapping problem in merged cells [message #1199399 is a reply to message #1176607] Wed, 20 November 2013 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Joe,

Can you attach an example that shows your issue that I can test on? Thanks!

Michael

Re: text wrapping problem in merged cells [message #1210155 is a reply to message #1118593] Mon, 25 November 2013 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonathan Rodgers is currently offline Jonathan RodgersFriend
I just switched from 4.2.2 to 4.3.1 for testing and development and just came across this same issue.

I have narrowed it down to affecting both Grids and Tables. But for me so far it seems to only happen when the columns have been been given a specific width instead of them staying auto.

I have found a work around that seems to work, I have to select cells that have been merged then under Property: Text \ Whitespace: set it to Preformatted instead of Auto.
Just a pain now to open all of the reports and make this changes. Fortunately production is still running 4.2.2

[Updated on: Mon, 25 November 2013 22:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: text wrapping problem in merged cells [message #1211724 is a reply to message #1210155] Tue, 26 November 2013 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After further testing you are correct, there still seems to be a problem here. My previous observations was incorrect since the test data I was using wasn't long enough to show the clipping.

If the first column width is set to auto in the merged space, it fills the merged space and wraps correctly when setting Property: Text \ Whitespace: Normal, and clips when Property: Text \ Whitespace: Preformatted / No Wrapping.

However when setting the first column in the merged space to a fixed width, things start to have undesired results.
Re: text wrapping problem in merged cells [message #1211933 is a reply to message #1211724] Tue, 26 November 2013 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like there is also some other issues with Merged Cells. When merging vertically instead of horizontally we also get some unexpected results in version 4.3.1 works fine in 4.2.2

When the Column is auto width there doesn't seem to be an issue, however when the column is fixed width there is an interesting issue. The cells in then next column to the right have an unexpected right padding added to them, however it doesn't affect the first row of the merged space only the subsequent rows.
Re: text wrapping problem in merged cells [message #1219408 is a reply to message #1211933] Tue, 03 December 2013 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

This would appear to be a bug at first glance. Can you post a bug in the bugzilla and post the bug info in here? Thanks!

Michael

Re: text wrapping problem in merged cells [message #1219448 is a reply to message #1219408] Tue, 03 December 2013 22:09 Go to previous message
Bug 423106
Previous Topic:Line Chart displays null values as 0
Next Topic:Adhoc reporting using BIRT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 09:56:35 GMT 2024