Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Sapphire » sapphire wizard displaying initial error message
sapphire wizard displaying initial error message [message #1115338] Tue, 24 September 2013 01:51 Go to next message
Greg Amerson is currently offline Greg AmersonFriend
Hey guys,

I'm working with SapphireWizard and I'm trying to reproduce the common Eclipse behavior where a missing field that normally would show an error doesn't display the error on when first entering a wizard. For instance, the New Java Project wizard, the project name is required but when you first enter the wizard, there is no red error validation at the top, only after you have started to interact with wizard will you receive the validation.

In my case I'm working with a new project wizard that will use sapphire and the first property is 'projectName', and since it is obviously a '@Required' field, the sapphire wizard is showing this error message on first display of the wizard page.

If you look at the DataModelWizardPage, they have this method called
showValidationErrorsOnEnter()
that subclasses can override. Is there currently a way to reproduce this behavior with SapphireWizard? If not, could it be added?
Re: sapphire wizard displaying initial error message [message #1115777 is a reply to message #1115338] Tue, 24 September 2013 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
Sapphire does not support this mode of delayed error display and I don't see supporting it in the future. The usability benefits of this are quite questionable and usability problems are quite obvious. The users tend to be very confused when a page that was clean just a second ago lights up in red the second they type a character somewhere.
Re: sapphire wizard displaying initial error message [message #1115791 is a reply to message #1115777] Tue, 24 September 2013 15:27 Go to previous message
Greg Amerson is currently offline Greg AmersonFriend
Fair enough on usability point. But for our use-case (new project wizard) we want to match the Eclipse platform default which pretty universally suppresses errors on first enter (e.g. just open any File > new > ... wizard in the platform). However for our adopter product we have a workaround we can apply, so no need to ask for further changes to sapphire. Thanks.
Previous Topic:Default value in tooltip without label
Next Topic:UniqueValueValidationService init() fails with @NoDuplicates declared on super class property
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 02:21:08 GMT 2024