Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » [Texo] + [Xcore] ??
[Texo] + [Xcore] ?? [message #1105443] Mon, 09 September 2013 21:59 Go to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
Martin et. al.,

Text looks really cool, and it's exactly what I've been looking for some webdev projects. One downside is that it really seems focussed on ecore right now. I've seen major productivity benefits from moving to xcore and being able to maintain basic business logic and richer derived models that way. It's far more maintainable and grcokkable then the approach of editing generated models.

Of course, I could always emit ecore from from xcore but then I lose all of the code generation advantages. And it seems that because Texo uses a different model generation scheme, you lose one of the most important advantages of EMF which is the shared model code. (Leaving aside Edit capability which isn't as important, but would also be extremely valuable for change and transaction management.) I think using Xtend generation was the right way to go, but have you thought about making it work with xcore? It seems like this would be a really natural thing to do..

cheers and thanks for all of your hard work,

Miles
Re: [Texo] + [Xcore] ?? [message #1105886 is a reply to message #1105443] Tue, 10 September 2013 11:51 Go to previous message
Martin Taal is currently offline Martin TaalFriend
Hey Miles,
This has crossed my mind everytime when I heard Ed talk about xcore, I discussed once with Ed to make the code
generation in xcore pluggable. But not sure what is possible at the moment.

So I find it quite interesting but it will be several months before I ever have time to take a serious look at it.

gr. Martin

On 09/09/2013 11:59 PM, Miles Parker wrote:
> Martin et. al.,
>
> Text looks really cool, and it's exactly what I've been looking for some webdev projects. One downside is that it really
> seems focussed on ecore right now. I've seen major productivity benefits from moving to xcore and being able to maintain
> basic business logic and richer derived models that way. It's far more maintainable and grcokkable then the approach of
> editing generated models.
>
> Of course, I could always emit ecore from from xcore but then I lose all of the code generation advantages. And it seems
> that because Texo uses a different model generation scheme, you lose one of the most important advantages of EMF which
> is the shared model code. (Leaving aside Edit capability which isn't as important, but would also be extremely valuable
> for change and transaction management.) I think using Xtend generation was the right way to go, but have you thought
> about making it work with xcore? It seems like this would be a really natural thing to do..
>
> cheers and thanks for all of your hard work,
>
> Miles

--

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite/Elver.org
Office: Hardwareweg 4, 3821 BV Amersfoort
Postal: Nassaulaan 7, 3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands
Cell: +31 (0)6 288 48 943
Tel: +31 (0)84 420 2397