Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » [Teneo] Option cascade_policy_on_non_containment
[Teneo] Option cascade_policy_on_non_containment [message #1095838] Tue, 27 August 2013 15:46 Go to next message
Nahuel V is currently offline Nahuel VFriend
Hi everyone,

I am working with Teneo/EMF/Hibernate and I've made a simple test.

- I create 2 objects A and B. A has a non-containment relation one-to-many with B (B1).
- This is my test code:

// LOAD A
Session session = this.hbds.getSessionFactory().openSession();
Transaction transaction = session.beginTransaction();
A loadedA = (A)session.createQuery("FROM A a LEFT JOIN FETCH a.b1").list().get(0);
transaction.commit();
session.flush();
session.close();

// LOAD B
session = this.hbds.getSessionFactory().openSession();
transaction = session.beginTransaction();
B loadedB = (B)session.get("B", (Long)6L);
transaction.commit();
session.flush();
session.close();

// ADD B TO A
session = this.hbds.getSessionFactory().openSession();
transaction = session.beginTransaction();
loadedA.getB1().add(loadedB);
//loadedA.getB1().add(b);
session.saveOrUpdate(loadedA);
transaction.commit();
session.flush();
session.close();

this.hbds.close();

- The following ones are my different configurations for the option CASCADE_POLICY_ON_NON_CONTAINMENT in Teneo and the respective error messages I get:

-- REFRESH, MERGE, PERSIST: org.hibernate.NonUniqueObjectException: a different object with the same identifier value was already associated with the session: [B#6]

-- REFRESH, MERGE: works, but if I create a new object "b" that is not in the DB and try to add it to A, I get the following error: org.hibernate.TransientObjectException: object references an unsaved transient instance - save the transient instance before flushing: B

Do you know what is the right configuration to work with saveOrUpdate and to avoid these errors? Or any solution to avoid this problem?
Re: [Teneo] Option cascade_policy_on_non_containment [message #1095940 is a reply to message #1095838] Tue, 27 August 2013 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Taal is currently offline Martin TaalFriend
Hi Nahuel,
To prevent the first exception (another object with...) you should use one session and transaction to load A and B and
then add B to A. That's also more a 'standard' approach, to open one session and transaction, do your thing and then
commit.

The second exception also occurs because of this, because you load B in a different session than A, Hibernate thinks
that B is new and no cascade happens.

gr. Martin

On 08/27/2013 08:01 PM, Nahuel V wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am working with Teneo/EMF/Hibernate and I've made a simple test.
>
> - I create 2 objects A and B. A has a non-containment relation one-to-many with B (B1).
> - This is my test code:
>
>
>
> // LOAD A
> Session session = this.hbds.getSessionFactory().openSession();
> Transaction transaction = session.beginTransaction();
> A loadedA = (A)session.createQuery("FROM A a LEFT JOIN FETCH a.b1").list().get(0);
> transaction.commit();
> session.flush();
> session.close();
>
> // LOAD B
> session = this.hbds.getSessionFactory().openSession();
> transaction = session.beginTransaction();
> B loadedB = (B)session.get("B", (Long)6L);
> transaction.commit();
> session.flush();
> session.close();
>
> // ADD B TO A
> session = this.hbds.getSessionFactory().openSession();
> transaction = session.beginTransaction();
> loadedA.getB1().add(loadedB);
> //loadedA.getB1().add(b);
> session.saveOrUpdate(loadedA);
> transaction.commit();
> session.flush();
> session.close();
>
> this.hbds.close();
>
>
>
> - The following ones are my different configurations for the option CASCADE_POLICY_ON_NON_CONTAINMENT in Teneo and the
> respective error messages I get:
>
> -- REFRESH, MERGE, PERSIST: org.hibernate.NonUniqueObjectException: a different object with the same identifier
> value was already associated with the session: [B#6]
>
> -- REFRESH, MERGE: works, but if I create a new object "b" that is not in the DB and try to add it to A, I get the
> following error: org.hibernate.TransientObjectException: object references an unsaved transient instance - save the
> transient instance before flushing: B
>
>
> Do you know what is the right configuration to work with saveOrUpdate and to avoid these errors? Or any solution to
> avoid this problem?
>

--

With Regards, Martin Taal

Springsite/Elver.org
Office: Hardwareweg 4, 3821 BV Amersfoort
Postal: Nassaulaan 7, 3941 EC Doorn
The Netherlands
Cell: +31 (0)6 288 48 943
Tel: +31 (0)84 420 2397
Fax: +31 (0)84 225 9307
Mail: mtaal@xxxxxxxx - mtaal@xxxxxxxx
Web: www.springsite.com - www.elver.org
Re: [Teneo] Option cascade_policy_on_non_containment [message #1096382 is a reply to message #1095940] Wed, 28 August 2013 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Martin,

First thank you for your help. I understand this problem, but i have another question..

I am working with a web application where I need to edit an object. For example this case:

1. I retrieve an object A from the DB to edit it, with its respective list of B objects. (loaded in a session)

Some stuff happens in between, e.g. user interaction.

2. I load a list of objects of type B in a combo box that could be associated to the object A, then I can create a new B object. (this objects are loaded in a different session)

Some stuff happens in between, e.g. user interaction.

3. I add a new B object to A, and I save the object A. (this save is made in a different session)

The thing is that I cannot load A and B in the same session because B is loaded after doing some stuff so there is some time between the 2 processes. This works if I have only REFRESH, MERGE in my teneo configuration. But when I need to create a new B and add it to A it's raised the TransientObjectException. What is the right way to manage this situation?

Thank you in advance.
Re: [Teneo] Option cascade_policy_on_non_containment [message #1096388 is a reply to message #1096382] Wed, 28 August 2013 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Nahuel,
For web application I tend to read all the information again with every request. In my cases (and I think many cases)
this is fast enough. I am a big fan of the session in view pattern.
https://community.jboss.org/wiki/OpenSessionInView

So recreate the session and transaction at every request and commit/rollback using a http request filter.

Another option is to keep the hibernate session alive between requests and re-use, cache it in the http session for
example. However you have to be somewhat carefull with multi-threading and memory usage (as the hibernate session keeps
his own cache).

Btw, if you use EMF in a web environment it could be better to look at the Texo project, I specifically did that project
for model-driven development in web environments:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Texo

gr. Martin

On 08/28/2013 12:08 PM, Nahuel V wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> First thank you for your help. I understand this problem, but i have another question..
>
> I am working with a web application where I need to edit an object. For example this case:
>
> 1. I retrieve an object A from the DB to edit it, with its respective list of B objects. (loaded in a session)
>
> Some stuff happens in between, e.g. user interaction.
>
> 2. I load a list of objects of type B in a combo box that could be associated to the object A, then I can create a new B
> object. (this objects are loaded in a different session)
>
> Some stuff happens in between, e.g. user interaction.
>
> 3. I add a new B object to A, and I save the object A. (this save is made in a different session)
>
> The thing is that I cannot load A and B in the same session because B is loaded after doing some stuff so there is some
> time between the 2 processes. This works if I have only REFRESH, MERGE in my teneo configuration. But when I need to
> create a new B and add it to A it's raised the TransientObjectException. What is the right way to manage this situation?
> Thank you in advance.

--

Springsite/Elver.org
The Netherlands
Mail: mtaal@xxxxxxxx - mtaal@xxxxxxxx
Web: www.springsite.com - www.elver.org
Re: [Teneo] Option cascade_policy_on_non_containment [message #1096426 is a reply to message #1096388] Wed, 28 August 2013 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Martin,

I think that this solution might not fit my case where I am building a RAP application instead of one using servlets. Do you have any advice for my parituclar case?

Kind regards.
Re: [Teneo] Option cascade_policy_on_non_containment [message #1096488 is a reply to message #1096426] Wed, 28 August 2013 13:05 Go to previous message
Hmm, no other suggestion I am afraid, so either you should store the session in the http session/user level or reread
the data at every request. I don't know RAP so I can't give a lot of tips here I am afraid...

gr. Martin

On 08/28/2013 01:30 PM, Nahuel V wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> I think that this solution might not fit my case where I am building a RAP application instead of one using servlets. Do
> you have any advice for my parituclar case?
>
> Kind regards.
>

--

Springsite/Elver.org
The Netherlands