Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Orion (Archived) » Extending Orion with Plugin without using the Orion server
Extending Orion with Plugin without using the Orion server [message #1085794] Tue, 13 August 2013 11:35 Go to next message
katie evans is currently offline katie evansFriend
I have written a plugin for Orion to provide content assist and syntax highlighting for a particular language. I want to know how to use this plugin with the client components of Orion, i.e. without using the Orion server.

Is this even possible? If yes how to achieve this?
Re: Extending Orion with Plugin without using the Orion server [message #1090074 is a reply to message #1085794] Mon, 19 August 2013 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Macdonald is currently offline Mark MacdonaldFriend
Yes, it is possible. The Orion client code is not coupled to the Orion server; instead the client depends on various service APIs (for example: file storage, preference storage, etc). Service APIs are usually implemented by a plugin (= a web page embedded in an IFrame). Alternatively services can be implemented without using plugins: this allows you to write your whole app in a single static, traditional web page if you desire.

So basically, you can host the Orion client code pretty much anywhere, without requiring any particular back-end server.

I would start by determining what your app's needs are. Do you want the full Orion UI? Are you interested in making your app extensible with plugins? Do you want the ability to traverse a hierarchy of files and folders, or just a simple editor that only handles a single kind of file?

Depending on what your needs are, you can try either of these options:

1. Full Orion UI + service registry
    Start by looking at the page that provides the full Orion editor (edit.html and the related files setup.js, defaults.pref). The defaults.pref file gives the URLs of the default set of plugins that the Orion UI will try to load. You can replace those as needed. The setup.js file does most of the page initialization, which you can also modify to add or remove additional UI components or services.

2. Just an editor
    Start by looking at embeddededitor.js and edit.js -- these give an example of a simpler web page. The page has no service registry and no plugins, but it still provides a full-page editor with content assist and syntax highlighting.

Re: Extending Orion with Plugin without using the Orion server [message #1090513 is a reply to message #1090074] Tue, 20 August 2013 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
katie evans is currently offline katie evansFriend
In my case I just want the editor. Its going to be used for a single language and completely embedded in a web page.

Is there any way I can get a status bar showing line and column numbers as shown in the editor with the server?

I don't want save or any other options just the line and column numbers.
Re: Extending Orion with Plugin without using the Orion server [message #1226872 is a reply to message #1090513] Fri, 03 January 2014 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Craig Pierce is currently offline Craig PierceFriend
I, too, cannot find any information on how to connect a grammar an embedded Orion editor.

I've got a working editor using 'built-editor.js' and 'built-editor.css', and I feel that I understand the grammar tutorial on the wiki pretty well, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to connect the two...

Any help would be much appreciated! I love the grammar syntax, and embedding the editor was a snap - but if I can't figure out how to use them together, I'll have to try using CodeMirror (and their tokenizer/highlighter) instead.

Note: I'm using 5.0M1
Re: Extending Orion with Plugin without using the Orion server [message #1228195 is a reply to message #1226872] Mon, 06 January 2014 16:25 Go to previous message
Ken Walker is currently offline Ken WalkerFriend
Hi, I'll try to get Grant to respond as he is re-working our syntax highlighting framework during the 5.0 release.

There's currently a bit of information here: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=421274
Previous Topic:[Editor] wrapMode = true triggers TypeError
Next Topic:Orion SaaS/PaaS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 11:26:04 GMT 2024