Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Hudson » Loving the Team Concept but... problem with AD users(AD usernames are case agnostic )
Loving the Team Concept but... problem with AD users [message #1085595] Tue, 13 August 2013 05:26 Go to next message
Andreas Magnusson is currently offline Andreas MagnussonFriend
Just tried our the Team Concept and it look great. However, it behaves "not so good" in combination with the Active Directory plugin.
The reason is that from AD's perspective, usernames are case agnostic, which means that I can logon as AMagnusson, amagnusson or some other combination, all which are correct.
The user mapping in Hudson seems to use the case that I as a user entered, which only might be the one used by the admin when added to the Team.

I recognize this problem from our own product, and there we made sure that the user handling always looks up the user via the mechanism (in this case AD) which (again at least in our API) always can return a unique name for the user. And always the same (of course).

Or, perhaps the usernames shouldn't be case-sensitive? That is up to you.

In the mean time I will test LDAP configuration to see if that one can handle usernames with different casing.

Cheers,
/Andreas
Re: Loving the Team Concept but... problem with AD users [message #1086752 is a reply to message #1085595] Wed, 14 August 2013 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geoff Waymark is currently offline Geoff WaymarkFriend
Are you seeing something like this under active driectory?

- Create a user in LDAP with uid FrankBorland
- In Hudson, configure security, enable LDAP and team authorization. Add a sysadmin.
- Login as sysadmin and create 2 teams. Add a few jobs to both teams. Add FrankBorland to the first team and frankborland to the second team. Note that both are the same users as far as LDAP is concerned.
- Login as FrankBorland
//exp: To see jobs from both teams
//act: Only see jobs from the first team.
- Login as frankborland
//exp: To see jobs from both teams
//act: Only see jobs from the second team.

This is logged as https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=415087

I think for the people functionality Hudson remembers the case for the first login and sticks to that no matter what case is used in a subsequent login. Would that sort of scheme work for this scenario?

Geoff Waymark
Eclipse Hudson team
Re: Loving the Team Concept but... problem with AD users [message #1086841 is a reply to message #1086752] Wed, 14 August 2013 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Foster is currently offline Bob FosterFriend
Even worse, Hudson will allow you to log in case-insensitively, e.g., BOB instead of bob. Once you do, you can't log in as bob any more. Hudson remembers the first time it saw the user and always uses BOB thereafter. So poor bob is locked out of team - treated as anonymous - until Hudson is restarted.
Re: Loving the Team Concept but... problem with AD users [message #1087081 is a reply to message #1086841] Thu, 15 August 2013 05:23 Go to previous message
Andreas Magnusson is currently offline Andreas MagnussonFriend
I our case, the "true" casing in our AD is amagnusson, and everyone will be informed to use that form. That works for us for now.
Previous Topic:Maven Plugin 3.0.1 with E-mail Notification NPE
Next Topic:Using Git with Hudson
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:59:19 GMT 2024