Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » how to stop on breakpoints(Can’t stop on breakpoints in .pm and other .pl files)
how to stop on breakpoints [message #1084016] Sat, 10 August 2013 22:21 Go to next message
Sandy Bittman is currently offline Sandy BittmanFriend
I'm trying to set up a Perl development environment similar to what I had at my 9 to 5 job.

I've downloaded Strawberry Perl 5.16.3 with Eclipse and Epic for editing and debugging.

I've set my Perl project directory to c:\p4 and created the following directory/files:

C:\P4\Shared\GetWeb.pm
C:\P4\WebTests\webTest.pl
C:\P4\WebTests\subtest.pl

The code is working fine, but debugging it was painful because I could not stop on breakpoints in the .pm file while I was creating it.

The .pm file is complex, so I won't post it here, but here are the other two files:

webTest.pl
use Modern::Perl '2013';
use lib '../shared'; # Shared
use Time::Piece;
use GetWeb;

require "subtest.pl";

main();

sub main
{
	my %hashedPrices;

my @stockList = ("C","FB","DELL");

%hashedPrices = GetWeb::YahooQuotes(\@stockList,"yahooQuotes.txt");
	for my $market (sort keys %hashedPrices)
	{
		my $LastTrade = $hashedPrices{$market};
		print "$market -> $LastTrade\n";
	}

%hashedPrices = GetWeb::YahooHistory("C","history.txt");
	for my $market (sort keys %hashedPrices)
	{
		my $LastTrade = $hashedPrices{$market};
		print "$market -> $LastTrade\n";
	}

subtest();

}

subtest.pl
use Modern::Perl '2013';

sub subtest
{
	print "Hello\n";
}
1;

The .pm file gets web pages then converts them into pseudo code with "most" of the HTML coding removed, interprets it per the type of stock market data requested, and then returns the data as a hash.

As I continue development, I'd love to be able to stop the debugger inside the .pm file and examine the variables!

So my question is simple: Is there some setting that I have to set up to let the debugger stop in other files?

I'm happy to share the source of the pm file for anyone who wants it.
Re: how to stop on breakpoints [message #1085087 is a reply to message #1084016] Mon, 12 August 2013 12:43 Go to previous message
Sandy Bittman is currently offline Sandy BittmanFriend
Interesting, I'm going to try to answer to my own question here and ask if this is really the way things work with eclipse / epic.

I had to move the .pm file from the shared directory into the same directory as the pl file I was debugging. It now stops at the breakpoints I set in the PM file, but still does not stop at the breakpoints in the secondary PL file.

Am I right in assuming that the Epic debugger only recognizes only the executed PL file and only PM files that exist in the local directory?
Previous Topic:Window Builder
Next Topic:keystore password recovery
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:53:15 GMT 2024