Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Newspaper/Multi Column layout in BIRT
Newspaper/Multi Column layout in BIRT [message #1082386] Thu, 08 August 2013 14:00 Go to next message
Sachin Rajmane is currently offline Sachin RajmaneFriend
Hi All,

Please let me know if we can implement Newspaper/MultiColumn layout in BIRT.

We have used, BIRT 3.7.1, where using some workarounds, this layout is possible,

where we are dividing data in multiple columns of table based on condition.

But, this will not solve our problem, as we might have data that will not fit in single row, which results in uneven columns.

Please let me know, if this functionality is available in currently available versions of BIRT(4.2.2 or 4.3).

Eagerly awaiting for the response.
Re: Newspaper/Multi Column layout in BIRT [message #1083570 is a reply to message #1082386] Sat, 10 August 2013 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

The same method still applies in the latest version. Using a grid, multiple tables, and filters. I've done a report where I broke the multiple-line rows into individual rows in a scripted dataset to be used in the newspaper style layout. I'm not on my work computer, so I'll have to post the example tomorrow. I'll also let you know if I think of something better.

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: Newspaper/Multi Column layout in BIRT [message #1083862 is a reply to message #1083570] Sat, 10 August 2013 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The example I have was made in Actuate BIRT, so, I'll just tell you what it does.

It takes the data from the first dataSet and stores it into an array. That data is used in the scripted dataSet and trimmed down into individual rows based on my spacing available. So, each original row would be split into as many rows as necessary, then I would go to the next row and split it up until all rows were split up. If you need an example, let me know. I'll make an example in your version.

Michael

Re: Newspaper/Multi Column layout in BIRT [message #1084938 is a reply to message #1082386] Mon, 12 August 2013 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
donino donino is currently offline donino doninoFriend
Sachin you should also have a look at the "List" element from the Designer palette. I noticed this feature is not much known, although it is very convenient to create multiColumn reports. Have a look at this stackoverflow topic

Notice the items are displayed from left to right
Re: Newspaper/Multi Column layout in BIRT [message #1693443 is a reply to message #1084938] Fri, 24 April 2015 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chhavleen Singh is currently offline Chhavleen SinghFriend
Hi,

I used above example that you have mentioned. That is really very helpful. But there is one problem with that. If any of the column has long content which is to print in 2 rows(word-wrap) then the other column start printing from the bottom row instead of top row.

For ex: I have attached an image. Please check.

I hope you understand my problem.

Thanks.
  • Attachment: example.png
    (Size: 11.26KB, Downloaded 613 times)
Re: Newspaper/Multi Column layout in BIRT [message #1694666 is a reply to message #1693443] Thu, 07 May 2015 02:27 Go to previous message

The problem you're seeing is because of the height on the grid in the detail row. If you were to set a height on the grid, you'd see the proper behavior.

Michael

Previous Topic:page break not on first page
Next Topic:Error :Could not initialize class org.apache.axis.transport.http.AxisServlet
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:23:15 GMT 2024