Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse Process Manager (Stardust) » Business Process Monitoring - Event based(To do monitoring of process activities )
icon3.gif  Business Process Monitoring - Event based [message #1081613] Wed, 07 August 2013 13:07 Go to next message
Kunal Suri is currently offline Kunal SuriFriend

Hello,

We have been experimenting with the QueryService (pull model) for monitoring of the data coming form the Process.

This type of monitoring is more sort of a reporting monitoring as scans the Audit trail and tells about the status and various metrics of the Activities like when were they started, which state are they in etc.

I followed the wiki page of Stardust Java API's to get these values. [1]

This discussion is a continuation of the Business Process Monitoring thread [2] but I want to know some more technical details and thus started this thread.

The drawback of the Pull monitoring technique is that we need to run the Audit trail and then retrieve the data, but now we need to consider other constraints and monitor a process or activity on that bases:

For Example:

1. The SLA for a process completion is 45 sec. and it is taking more that this time?
2. The Activity should be completed in 60 millisec but its taking more?

We need to have a program that sends alerts on such problematic situation?

I am not sure of the Working With Activity Event Handlers [3] could solve this problem?

Also, I tried to see the IWorklistMonitor (Package org.eclipse.stardust.engine.core.spi.monitoring) but I feel it only for activities that need a manual intervention. What about Application Activities ?

For example, a Process has an application activity and it uses a web service WSDL and the web service is down thus the activity would not be completed and should send a alert to the monitoring program, so that the technical staff could look into it?

Thanks for your time!

Kunal

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Stardust/Knowledge_Base/Java_API/Process_Instance_Queries

[2] http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/482625/

[3] http://help.eclipse.org/kepler/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.stardust.docs.dev%2Fhtml%2Fhandbooks%2Fmodelling%2Fmg-defdesk-13.htm&resultof=%22Working%22%20%22work%22%20%22Activity%22%20%22activ%22%20%22Event%22%20%22event%22%20%22Handlers%22%20%22handler%22%20
Re: Business Process Monitoring - Event based [message #1081631 is a reply to message #1081613] Wed, 07 August 2013 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Kunal Suri wrote on Wed, 07 August 2013 09:07
Hello,

We have been experimenting with the QueryService (pull model) for monitoring of the data coming form the Process.

This type of monitoring is more sort of a reporting monitoring as scans the Audit trail and tells about the status and various metrics of the Activities like when were they started, which state are they in etc.

I followed the wiki page of Stardust Java API's to get these values. [1]

This discussion is a continuation of the Business Process Monitoring thread [2] but I want to know some more technical details and thus started this thread.

The drawback of the Pull monitoring technique is that we need to run the Audit trail and then retrieve the data, but now we need to consider other constraints and monitor a process or activity on that bases:

For Example:

1. The SLA for a process completion is 45 sec. and it is taking more that this time?

I am not sure of the Working With Activity Event Handlers [3] could solve this problem?

Also, I tried to see the IWorklistMonitor (Package org.eclipse.stardust.engine.core.spi.monitoring) but I feel it only for activities that need a manual intervention. What about Application Activities ?

For example, a Process has an application activity and it uses a web service WSDL and the web service is down thus the activity would not be completed and should send a alert to the monitoring program, so that the technical staff could look into it?

Thanks for your time!

Kunal

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Stardust/Knowledge_Base/Java_API/Process_Instance_Queries

[2] http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/482625/

[3] http://help.eclipse.org/kepler/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.stardust.docs.dev%2Fhtml%2Fhandbooks%2Fmodelling%2Fmg-defdesk-13.htm&resultof=%22Working%22%20%22work%22%20%22Activity%22%20%22activ%22%20%22Event%22%20%22event%22%20%22Handlers%22%20%22handler%22%20

Also, something about a ProcessExecutionMonitor was mentioned in the thread [2] but I am not able to find any reference document on it?

So, if we get events when a Application or Manual Activity starts and completes using a Java API it will help us to monitor our activities better.

Thanks,
Kunal
Re: Business Process Monitoring - Event based [message #1083030 is a reply to message #1081631] Fri, 09 August 2013 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hello,

I figured out that in thread [1] it mentions about org.eclipse.stardust.engine.core.spi.monitoring (Interface IProcessExecutionMonitor)

Also in the Stardust Documentation [2] link it only describes Package org.eclipse.stardust.engine.core.spi.monitoring having 3 interfaces i.e IPartitionMonitor, IProcessExecutionMonitor and IWorklistMonitor
where as while trying to Program on this API I found it also has following :

org.eclipse.stardust.engine.core.spi.monitoring.IActivityInstanceMonitor;
org.eclipse.stardust.engine.core.spi.monitoring.IRuntimeEnvironmentMonitor;

that are not mentioned in the Doc.

Could you please provide me with a small java program example or document link to use this API and its function?

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/482625/
[2] http://help.eclipse.org/kepler/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.stardust.docs.dev%2Fhtml%2Fhandbooks%2Freference%2Fapi%2Fengine%2Forg%2Feclipse%2Fstardust%2Fengine%2Fcore%2Fspi%2Fmonitoring%2FIWorklistMonitor.html

Thanks,
Kunal
Re: Business Process Monitoring - Event based [message #1084800 is a reply to message #1081613] Mon, 12 August 2013 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Emsbach is currently offline Robert EmsbachFriend

Kunal,

Quote:

The out of the box event handling feature is meant to be used in such scenarios, for instance if you require an escalation when an activity is not completed within a given time.

In the properties of the activity (or completed process) in question you can simply define a timer event (check automatic binding, at runtime make sure event daemon is started). Next you define event actions that will be triggered in case the event occurs. You can for instance send email notifications, delegate the activity or kick of complete escalation processes.

For technical error situations like a web service being unavailable the on exception event handler is suitable.

Please also see the example in the documentation:
http://help.eclipse.org/kepler/topic/org.eclipse.stardust.docs.dev/html/handbooks/modelling/mg-defdesk-13.htm?resultof=%22timer%22%20%22event%22%20

The IWorklist monitor is not meant for the regular escalation scenarios you described here. It was provided to allow push notifications when a user's worklist changes.

Does this help and cover all your requirements? Let me know if you need more details or have requirements that cannot be covered with the event handling.

Best regards

Rob

Re: Business Process Monitoring - Event based [message #1084821 is a reply to message #1084800] Mon, 12 August 2013 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Kunal,

not becasue I think you will need it, but for the sake of completeness and future reference I have added an IWorklistMonitor example to the wiki:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Stardust/Knowledge_Base/Java_API/IWorklistMonitor_Example

Best regards

Rob
Re: Business Process Monitoring - Event based [message #1087463 is a reply to message #1084821] Thu, 15 August 2013 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Robert Emsbach wrote on Mon, 12 August 2013 01:31
Kunal,

not becasue I think you will need it, but for the sake of completeness and future reference I have added an IWorklistMonitor example to the wiki:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Stardust/Knowledge_Base/Java_API/IWorklistMonitor_Example

Best regards

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the explanation about the Events. Smile
I feel it should solve one part of my problem. I will be looking more into implementing these once I am back from my vacations.

Could you please also describe more about the IProcessExecutionMonitor , IActivityInstanceMonitor and IRuntimeEnvironmentMonitor API with an example like you did for IWorklistMonitor . I did not find much materials on these in the Docs.

I am actually trying to design a tool that monitors the various business process activity in a push manner at every step of BP execution.

Thanks,
Kunal
Re: Business Process Monitoring - Event based [message #1097973 is a reply to message #1087463] Fri, 30 August 2013 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Could you please describe more about the IProcessExecutionMonitor , IActivityInstanceMonitor and IRuntimeEnvironmentMonitor API with an example ?

It will be good help for us to understand these API for making our own use cases of monitoring the BPMS tool.

Thanks,
Kunal
Re: Business Process Monitoring - Event based [message #1115496 is a reply to message #1097973] Tue, 24 September 2013 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andreas Mueller is currently offline Andreas MuellerFriend
Hi Kunal,

you can register implementations of IProcessExecutionMonitor, IWorklistMonitor, IRuntimeEnvironmentMonitor or IPartitionMonitor via META-INF/services contract. Just place a file with fully qualified class name of one of above Monitor interfaces into META-INF/services. The file itself should contain the fully qualified name of the class that implements the corresponding monitor.

e.g. file name org.eclipse.stardust.engine.core.spi.monitoring.IProcessExecutionMonitor with content org.eclipse.stardust.custom.MyProcessExecutionMonitor.

If for example a process instance is started, the callback method void processStarted(IProcessInstance process); of MyProcessExecutionMonitor is called. So you can react on this event and do whatever you need to do.

There are several other events such as process instance completion, process instance abortion, model deployment, model deletion, any worklist changes of activity instances, etc. I hope that helps to get started.

Regards,

Andreas
Re: Business Process Monitoring - Event based [message #1116121 is a reply to message #1115496] Wed, 25 September 2013 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Gille is currently offline Marc GilleFriend
In addition to the above: Stay tuned for the new Reporting functionality, we will be checking in after we have passed legal. It will help a lot with the above from a dashboarding perspective.
Re: Business Process Monitoring - Event based [message #1116225 is a reply to message #1116121] Wed, 25 September 2013 05:48 Go to previous message

Kunal,

I added another implementation example to the Stardust Knowledgebase:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Stardust/Knowledge_Base/Java_API/IPartitionMonitor_Example

Best regards

Rob
Previous Topic:Stardust Webservice Integration - org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; Premature end of file
Next Topic:Loading of Preferences in the Business Control Center
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:08:43 GMT 2024