Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Open editors sorting
Open editors sorting [message #1081514] Wed, 07 August 2013 10:15 Go to next message
Oliver Specht is currently offline Oliver SpechtFriend
Hi,
is there any setting to set the insertion order for new editors opening?

When I have 10 editors open, not all tabs are shown in the tabs list. When opening a new editor / file, it is appended to the end of the list, so when switching back to the former editor / file, I always have to click the ">>" icon.

When setting the number of open editors to a number which causes all editors to be visible, it seems, the first editor is closed when opening a new editor, so that is no solution.

I hope I could make the problem clear, so if there is anyone who can help me out, I would appreciate it.

Alternatively: Where can I make some change request?

Thank you!

Oliver
Re: Open editors sorting [message #1082430 is a reply to message #1081514] Thu, 08 August 2013 14:58 Go to previous message
Eric Moffatt is currently offline Eric MoffattFriend

Oliver, we're looking into ways to do this, perhaps you'd like to help ? There are a certain number of places where it looks like we would be well off to provide a 'Policy' hook whose default behavior could be overridden by custom code.

The editors situation is the most glaring of these in that we've *never* been able to provide a solution that satisfies more than a limited percentage of users. What we've been thinking about is to allow something like the MAddon but whose implementation would be annotated with custom Policy annotations.

For example in this case we might allow a new DI'd element to annotate a method with @DefineLocation. The method would be called whenever we're looking to place a new element into the model. It would get the element to be placed and return the 'correct' location in the model in which to place the element (returning 'null' would cause the default behavior to be used. Note that we should allow the definition of both the parent and the *index* where the element should go (this will help in defining an MRU-like behavior).

Note that the first pass on this would likely only inquire about which MPartStack you want a particular part / placeholder to show up in but it does have other potential uses. One possibility is to allow someone to dynamically filter menu / tb items by returning an 'invisible' menu or toolbar to out them in (we'd supply these somehow).

In any case see https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=306823 which is a deeper version of this particular issue. Certainly the placing editors scenario is at the top of the list...

Previous Topic:menu not registry in fragment
Next Topic:plugin_customization.ini properties
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 05:53:04 GMT 2024