Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Exclipse destroy the own workspace ...
Exclipse destroy the own workspace ... [message #1063411] Thu, 13 June 2013 06:32 Go to next message
Wolfgang Uhr is currently offline Wolfgang UhrFriend
Hello

I'm very new here and first: Thanks for the help and for the offering of a forum like this.

Although I've used eclipse several times on different pcs, actually I've a very strange problem. But first the situation:

• Eclipse 4.2.2 SDK
• Windows 7
• A sodius-plug in for developing dxl-scripts (dxl = doors extended language something like vba for the ibm-program Doors)
• The workspace is stored at a network drive. It is my own user network drive. No other guys or programs will write to it. So in the workspace directory, eclipse is the only user.
• The network drive is used in a windows-internal synchronize mode, so even if there are no network drives, the files or copies of the files are available.

The reaction of eclipse

• Of about 2 Weeks it works perfect. I've done my daily work, so I've used this tool each work day.
• Then Eclipse crashes (see 2 nd screenshoot). It does not show anything and does not work in any way.
• Yesterday I've created a new Workspace and moved the files from the old WS to the new and yesterday for some hours it works. Today eclipse is damaged too.

I for myself assume that there might be a problem with the history of the program files, or eclipse might have a problem with those synchronized paths.

So: Is there anything, I can do? I cannot repair my eclipse all 5-10 days.

Thanks for any help

Best regards
Wolfgang
Re: Exclipse destroy the own workspace ... [message #1063623 is a reply to message #1063411] Thu, 13 June 2013 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 6/13/2013 5:14 AM, Wolfgang Uhr wrote:
> Hello
>
> [snip]
> • The workspace is stored at a network drive. It is my own user
network drive. No other guys or programs will write to it. So in the
workspace directory, eclipse is the only user.

Wolfgang,

Why are you storing your workspace on a network drive? Eclipse
workspaces are not sharable or portable between computers. (Projects
are, however, the best way is to manage them using a version-control
system like Git or Subversion.)

As for what specifically is happening to your set-up, I don't know, but
I would minimize the chances of this happening by placing my workspace
on one host.
Re: Exclipse destroy the own workspace ... [message #1819109 is a reply to message #1063623] Wed, 08 January 2020 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave Hitchman is currently offline Dave HitchmanFriend
'put it on your local drive' is NOT the answer, the guy might have all sorts of very good reasons for it to be on a network drive - space or whatever.
My eclipse managed to totally destroy the workspace yesterday... nothing left in the workspace directory. When I open it still knows what files I had previously open but has no clue where to find them. Just like that... boom, nothing. I will have to recreate the workspace, annoying and a waste of time. What causes this to happen?????? From this post it is clear I am not the only one to have had this although it is possibly rare.
Re: Exclipse destroy the own workspace ... [message #1819114 is a reply to message #1819109] Wed, 08 January 2020 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
It's not clear what has gone wrong, but the general problem with network drives is that networks can fail and anything that can fail at some point does fail. So if there is a failure while writing some critical file (workspace index files), those can end up corrupted. Did you have the workspace on a network drive or are you saying it was a local drive but still something ended up being corrupted in the workspace such that the workspace became unusable. I've seen another post on the forum not long ago suggesting that happened to them too...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Exclipse destroy the own workspace ... [message #1819350 is a reply to message #1819114] Mon, 13 January 2020 16:09 Go to previous message
Lyudmila Kucher is currently offline Lyudmila KucherFriend
Didn't have any problem with Eclipse so far..I've been working with Microsoft Visual in the past and had a similar problem. I simply created a new user on my Windows and installed a new MS Visual there. Worked for me.
Previous Topic:Error recovery ?
Next Topic: Eclipse Community Forums
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 09:07:52 GMT 2024