Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Rank newbie question(trouble getting eclipse to change anything after I type it into the editor)
Rank newbie question [message #1052760] Tue, 30 April 2013 13:50 Go to next message
David Alvarez is currently offline David AlvarezFriend
Hello,
I apologize in advance for my way newbie question, but I am having a mysterious problem with Eclipse. I am trying to work my way through Koushik's tutorials on the Spring Framework, and have made it ~1/2 way through, but now, when I type into the editor, nothing changes in the console (where it should). I've spent a couple of days fretting over this now, and I am just mystified. I am using Eclipse Indigo, Java 7, and the latest packages from Spring. I have also been saving each of the project files on a flash drive once I got each tutorial completed (and got them to work), and since I was having trouble with the latest one, decided to reload it from the flash drive, which I thought went well, but nothing changes anymore, even after I hit Project>Clean in Eclipse. What am I doing wrong? Shocked
Re: Rank newbie question [message #1052817 is a reply to message #1052760] Tue, 30 April 2013 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 4/30/2013 9:00 AM, David Alvarez wrote:
> Hello,
> I apologize in advance for my way newbie question, but I am having a
> mysterious problem with Eclipse. I am trying to work my way through
> Koushik's tutorials on the Spring Framework, and have made it ~1/2 way
> through, but now, when I type into the editor, nothing changes in the
> console (where it should). I've spent a couple of days fretting over
> this now, and I am just mystified. I am using Eclipse Indigo, Java 7,
> and the latest packages from Spring. I have also been saving each of
> the project files on a flash drive once I got each tutorial completed
> (and got them to work), and since I was having trouble with the latest
> one, decided to reload it from the flash drive, which I thought went
> well, but nothing changes anymore, even after I hit Project>Clean in
> Eclipse. What am I doing wrong? 8o

It would be helpful if you gave more detail as to what "doesn't change"
and/or what you expect to see changed.
Re: Rank newbie question [message #1052835 is a reply to message #1052817] Tue, 30 April 2013 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry I didn't do so earlier, please excuse my newbie mistake: Here is what Eclipse is currently telling me index.php/fa/14581/0/, the result my fooling with the earlier tutorial, and here is what I typed into the LoggingAspect class: index.php/fa/14582/0/, which as you can see should result in Eclipse's printing to the console "First advice was run.", although it should do so a number of times. Now, as many times as I've tried to compile it manually (or checked and unchecked the Project>Build Automatically button) nothing seems to change, still the same old printout. What am I doing wrong?
Re: Rank newbie question [message #1052842 is a reply to message #1052835] Tue, 30 April 2013 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 4/30/2013 10:07 AM, David Alvarez wrote:
> Sorry I didn't do so earlier, please excuse my newbie mistake: Here is what Eclipse is currently telling me , the result my fooling with the earlier tutorial, and here is what I typed into the LoggingAspect class: , which as you can see should result in Eclipse's printing to the console "First advice was run.", although it should do so a number of times. Now, as many times as I've tried to compile it manually (or checked and unchecked the Project>Build Automatically button) nothing seems to change, still the same old printout. What am I doing wrong?

Okay, I think I get it. What you need help with is the tutorial rather
than Eclipse. I'm unfamiliar with this set of tutorials, so I can't
advise you go to another forum. However, ...

What you'll need to do is break down your problem into one of several
categories and ask more detailed questions in appropriate forums.

1 - What is actually Eclipse (how to use the IDE, etc.--this forum)
1bis - What is web-oriented (Eclipse WTP forum)
2 - What is actually Spring (Spring has forums)
3 - What is only Java (javaranch.com, stackoverflow.com, jguru.com, etc.)

I realize this is going to be painful. We've all been through it.

Cheers.
Re: Rank newbie question [message #1052863 is a reply to message #1052842] Tue, 30 April 2013 18:52 Go to previous message
Thanks anyways. I solved it on my own.
Previous Topic:Errors when creating remote projects using Eclipse Remote System Explorer
Next Topic:Building case-sensitive Eclipse for Mac
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:19:52 GMT 2024