Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » AspectJ » Better singleton aspect
Better singleton aspect [message #1034484] Fri, 05 April 2013 13:39 Go to next message
Kirsten M. Z. is currently offline Kirsten M. Z.Friend
The following is a neat Java singleton pattern:

public class XXX {

private static XXX instance = new Singleton();

private XXX () {}

public static XXX getInstance() {
        return instance;
    }
}

I hoped that I could implement an 'aspect' which can be applied to singleton classes in order to avoid this overhead. However, I am unable to find or implement a good solution. Google can only find the following one: http://www.christianschenk.org/blog/singletons-with-aspectj/

But honestly, "new XXX()" for getting the singleton instance? This solution can also be found in the AspectJ cookbook. IMHO this is a no go! There is also a quote:

Quote:
The presented implementation should be well documented, because nothing would be more irritating than a novice developer in your team who doesn't know about this magic behind the scenes and relies on different instances of the singleton class ("I thought new would be doing...").

I cannot believe that the trivial singleton code above cannot be weaved into some classes (e.g. with MySingletonAnnotation). Is there no solution which allows the writing of "XXX.getInstance()"?
Re: Better singleton aspect [message #1041806 is a reply to message #1034484] Mon, 15 April 2013 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Eisenberg is currently offline Andrew EisenbergFriend
Because of the singleton pattern's reliance on static methods, there would be no clean solution in an aspect. I agree with you that the solution posted in the blog is not what I would suggest. I'll play around a bit and see if I can come up with a better solution myself. However, my guess is that no matter what, there will always be a cast involved around the getInstance() method.
Re: Better singleton aspect [message #1042579 is a reply to message #1041806] Tue, 16 April 2013 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kirsten M. Z. is currently offline Kirsten M. Z.Friend
Probably, there is no better solution. Otherwise, somebody might have found it already. However, using the word "find" for such a trivial case speaks volumes *sigh* 10 years ago I really expected that aspect-oriented programming could revolutionize programming (or clean the mess, at least). I tried using AOP in about 5 or 6 new Projects now. Each time I run into some trouble in the beginning :/ Either there are bugs in some products, other techical issues (modern platforms etc.) or I cannot solve trivial problems which should be in the scope of AOP like the posted issue. Colleagues of mine gave up a long time ago :/
Re: Better singleton aspect [message #1042648 is a reply to message #1042579] Tue, 16 April 2013 17:53 Go to previous message
Andrew Eisenberg is currently offline Andrew EisenbergFriend
The best thing to do is to post to the AJ users mailing list, see here: http://eclipse.org/aspectj/userlists.php. And you are correct that not all problems are solvable using AspectJ. However, there is a certain class of problems that it excels at (modularizing crosscutting concerns like security, transactions, logging, etc).
Previous Topic:Plugin class calls logging
Next Topic:classes & methods nale
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 15:19:06 GMT 2024