Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Need advice - new perspective or modify eclipse source code
Need advice - new perspective or modify eclipse source code [message #1023671] Sun, 24 March 2013 22:30
Christopher Merry is currently offline Christopher MerryFriend
I am a novice when it comes to Java and Eclipse. One of the biggest challenges I have faced is trying to determine the "best" way to complete certain tasks. That being said, I am building a new IDE. In the end, the interface needs to be simplified from the basic eclipse environment. Many menus need to be removed and new ones added. I have started down the path of using a new perspective to remove menus and items on the toolbar. My concern is that I may not be using the best method. I do not want the shortcuts to access otherwise removed menus, and I am afraid I am adding a lot of extra code loading an interface that is then hiding much of the features. As an alternative, I am wondering if I should look into modifying the eclipse code base directly. That seems very complicated, and I wanted to get feedback before I continued on.

By the way, if you are familiar with Pentaho Data Integration, I am looking at Spoon as an example. Not for the functionality, but in how Eclipse is re-branded and has no Eclipse functionality that is not used specifically by the IDE.

Thanks for your feedback!
Previous Topic:EditorPart change composite
Next Topic:How to add to context menu for an annotation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:45:12 GMT 2024