Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Remote Node Management
Remote Node Management [message #1022430] Thu, 21 March 2013 21:29 Go to next message
stuart donald is currently offline stuart donaldFriend
Hi

I currently have a cluster of OSGi runtimes, by this I mean I have a master slave setup, where I have a number of nodes on different machines which I can send work to from the master node. Each of the nodes is a headless equinox runtime. I am currently running on naked equinox, and do the co-ordination via JMS and Zookeeper. This side of things works OK, the issue I am facing now is how to automatically deploy new nodes, and perform updates to existing nodes.

I am considering using an OSGi container such as Virgo or Karaf so that I can break the application up into parts that can be updated, as updates are likely to consist of a bunch of bundles rather than just a single bundle, and then there are the issues about what happens with dependent bundles/services when updating a bundle that I would rather not have to deal with myself (which I believe containers like Karaf/Virgo can help with).

My question is, if I use Virgo (probably Nano) as a container for my application, what are my options for managing a group of nodes, pushing out updates, deploying new nodes? There are projects like Apache Ace, and FuseSource Fabric which look promising, though ACE seems a little under documented, and Fabric seems to work only with Karaf.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how I can perform and manage updates to a group of Virgo nodes?
Re: Remote Node Management [message #1022861 is a reply to message #1022430] Fri, 22 March 2013 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gunnar Wagenknecht is currently offline Gunnar WagenknechtFriend

Am 21.03.2013 17:29, schrieb stuart donald:
> Can anyone offer any suggestions on how I can perform and manage updates to a group of Virgo nodes?

I don't know about the plans on the Virgo side.

I'm working on running Gyrex on top of Virgo Nano. In Gyrex we use p2
for installing packages (vanilla bundles or groups of bundles using
features) on to nodes. The clustering is also implemented via ZooKeeper.

Are you interested in getting involved into this activity and help
moving it forward?

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxx
http://wagenknecht.org/
Re: Remote Node Management [message #1022973 is a reply to message #1022861] Fri, 22 March 2013 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Frost is currently offline Chris FrostFriend

As Gunnar says, Gyrex is the best way to manage a distributed OSGi platform.

------------------------------------------------
Chris Frost, Twitter @cgfrost
Springsource, a divison of VMware.
Re: Remote Node Management [message #1023665 is a reply to message #1022973] Sun, 24 March 2013 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stuart donald is currently offline stuart donaldFriend
Thanks for the feedback guys. I will take a look at Gyrex.

@Gunnar - I'll need to take a look at Gyrex to see if it's going to suit our needs before I can answer about getting involved in a Gyrex/Nano integration. From a user perspective is there much benefit in running Gyrex on Nano? (vs using Gyrex as it currently is, and not having a concrete requirement to use Nano) Or is this more about a consolidation of the platforms, and removing any duplication of effort?

Cheers

Stuart.
Re: Remote Node Management [message #1023905 is a reply to message #1023665] Mon, 25 March 2013 12:40 Go to previous message
Gunnar Wagenknecht is currently offline Gunnar WagenknechtFriend

Am 24.03.2013 18:13, schrieb stuart donald:
> Or is this more about a consolidation of the platforms, and removing any duplication of effort?

Is that point. There is no technical requirement, i.e. you can start
right away to make yourself familiar with the setup. But Virgo provides
a few items that are worth having and that we are looking at to benefit
from (eg. enhanced Equinox diagnostics, etc.). :)

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxx
http://wagenknecht.org/
Previous Topic:Spring data
Next Topic:No frame contents in Swing app on Virgo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 07:26:12 GMT 2024