Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » after upgrade from 2.2.0 to 2.3.1: unwanted .gitignore files in SVN projects plus poor performance
after upgrade from 2.2.0 to 2.3.1: unwanted .gitignore files in SVN projects plus poor performance [message #1021662] Wed, 20 March 2013 13:26 Go to next message
Frank Neblung is currently offline Frank NeblungFriend
I have a workspace with Maven-Projects that are version controlled with SVN. Embarrassed

After Upgrading EGit from 2.2.0 to 2.3.1 I find many unwanted outgoing changes in these SVN-Projects. Each Project suddenly contains a .gitignore file.
The .gitignore files all ignore "/target" (some only once, others several times).

Getting rid of the .gitignore by reverting outgoing changes is not a solution since the files are recreated (after some time).

After Upgrading from 2.2.0 to 2.3.1 the perceived performance degraded dramatically.
When saving Git-controlled files, Eclipse sometimes isn't responsive for seconds. During that time the system load is 100%.
Re: after upgrade from 2.2.0 to 2.3.1: unwanted .gitignore files in SVN projects plus poor performan [message #1023479 is a reply to message #1021662] Sun, 24 March 2013 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Rosenberg is currently offline Robin RosenbergFriend
Frank Neblung skrev 2013-03-20 14.26:
> I have a workspace with Maven-Projects that are version controlled with SVN. :blush:
> After Upgrading EGit from 2.2.0 to 2.3.1 I find many unwanted outgoing changes in these SVN-Projects. Each Project suddenly contains a .gitignore file.
> The .gitignore files all ignore "/target" (some only once, others several times).

EGit creates the .gitignore files, but I didn't know it created them for non-git projects. If that's the case, then it's a bug. Please report
to bugs.eclipse.org (Platform/EGit/Core). Does it happen regardless of team provider, e.g. CVS or no provider?

> Getting rid of the .gitignore by reverting outgoing changes is not a solution since the files are recreated (after some time).

> After Upgrading from 2.2.0 to 2.3.1 the perceived performance degraded dramatically.
> When saving Git-controlled files, Eclipse sometimes isn't responsive for seconds. During that time the system load is 100%.

I believe that's the opposite of what the rest of us experience. More details are needed. Is it possible for you to somehow trace Eclipse to see what it's
doing during save, e.g. using dtruss, strace, jvisualvm or other tools? Bad performance is a bug.

-- robin
Re: after upgrade from 2.2.0 to 2.3.1: unwanted .gitignore files in SVN projects plus poor performan [message #1023835 is a reply to message #1023479] Mon, 25 March 2013 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apropos performance:
Saving a Git-controlled file causes high system load. The period of high load falls into two phases.
First phase: load is high, but Eclipse remains responsive (Can move the cursor around, type content, switch editors etc).
Second phase (several seconds): load is high, but Eclipse is no more responsive (Can't do anything, UI is freezed).

A thread dump taken in the first phase doesn't mention git.
A thread dump taken in the phase of unresponsiveness contains: (output of jvisualvm)
"Worker-48" prio=6 tid=0x576c1c00 nid=0x1b3c in Object.wait() [0x67e4f000]
java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (on object monitor)
at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
- waiting on <0x06e24430> (a org.eclipse.ui.internal.Semaphore)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Semaphore.acquire(Semaphore.java:43)
- locked <0x06e24430> (a org.eclipse.ui.internal.Semaphore)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.UISynchronizer.syncExec(UISynchronizer.java:168)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.syncExec(Display.java:4683)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.Activator.isActive(Activator.java:240)
at org.eclipse.egit.ui.Activator$RepositoryChangeScanner.run(Activator.java:450)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

Locked ownable synchronizers:
- None

Is acquiring a semaphore within Display.syncExec() causing the UI-freeze?
Re: after upgrade from 2.2.0 to 2.3.1: unwanted .gitignore files in SVN projects plus poor performan [message #1023856 is a reply to message #1023479] Mon, 25 March 2013 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robin Rosenberg wrote on Sun, 24 March 2013 06:33
EGit creates the .gitignore files, but I didn't know it created them for non-git projects. If that's the case, then it's a bug. Please report
to bugs.eclipse.org (Platform/EGit/Core). Does it happen regardless of team provider, e.g. CVS or no provider?

Added new bug https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=404256
Re: after upgrade from 2.2.0 to 2.3.1: unwanted .gitignore files in SVN projects plus poor performan [message #1024361 is a reply to message #1023835] Tue, 26 March 2013 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Neblung skrev 2013-03-25 10.25:
> apropos performance:
> Saving a Git-controlled file causes high system load. The period of high load falls into two phases.
> First phase: load is high, but Eclipse remains responsive (Can move the cursor around, type content, switch editors etc).
> Second phase (several seconds): load is high, but Eclipse is no more responsive (Can't do anything, UI is freezed).
>
> A thread dump taken in the first phase doesn't mention git.
> A thread dump taken in the phase of unresponsiveness contains: (output of jvisualvm)
> "Worker-48" prio=6 tid=0x576c1c00 nid=0x1b3c in Object.wait() [0x67e4f000]
> java.lang.Thread.State: TIMED_WAITING (on object monitor)
> at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
> - waiting on <0x06e24430> (a org.eclipse.ui.internal.Semaphore)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Semaphore.acquire(Semaphore.java:43)
> - locked <0x06e24430> (a org.eclipse.ui.internal.Semaphore)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.UISynchronizer.syncExec(UISynchronizer.java:168)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.syncExec(Display.java:4683)
> at org.eclipse.egit.ui.Activator.isActive(Activator.java:240)
> at org.eclipse.egit.ui.Activator$RepositoryChangeScanner.run(Activator.java:450)
> at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)
>
> Locked ownable synchronizers:
> - None
>
> Is acquiring a semaphore within Display.syncExec() causing the UI-freeze?
>

syncexec waits, but I don't see why it should cause a UI freeze since it's not the
UI that's waiting here.

Can you post the full thread dump?

-- robin
Re: after upgrade from 2.2.0 to 2.3.1: unwanted .gitignore files in SVN projects plus poor performan [message #1024536 is a reply to message #1024361] Tue, 26 March 2013 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, here are some thread dumps.
dump1 and dump2 were taken when autobuild was on. Eclipse was responsive during the time of dump1, but was not on dump2.
Then I turned off autobuild and took dump3 and dump4. The problem with unreponsiveness remained the same (dump3 responsive, dump4 not).

I experience unresponsiveness only when changing files in Git-controlled projects.
When changing SVN-controlled files Eclipse remains responsive even when autobuild is on and massive recompilation and static analysis takes place.

• Attachment: dumps.zip
    (Size: 20.42KB, Downloaded 202 times)
Re: after upgrade from 2.2.0 to 2.3.1: unwanted .gitignore files in SVN projects plus poor performan [message #1027304 is a reply to message #1024536] Tue, 26 March 2013 20:47 Go to previous message
Frank Neblung skrev 2013-03-26 09.26:
> OK, here are some thread dumps.
> dump1 and dump2 were taken when autobuild was on. Eclipse was responsive during the time of dump1, but was not on dump2.
> Then I turned off autobuild and took dump3 and dump4. The problem with unreponsiveness remained the same (dump3 responsive, dump4 not).
>
> I experience unresponsiveness only when changing files in Git-controlled projects.
> When changing SVN-controlled files Eclipse remains responsive even when autobuild is on and massive recompilation and static analysis takes place.

In the dump2 dump I see nothing that EGit does that makes things slow, but I do see findbugs
which sometimes takes it's toll. In dump4 I don't see egit at all, but he JDT decorators are active.

If you still suspect EGit, turn off the "refresh workspace when index changes" and see if that has
any effect.

-- robin
Previous Topic:Synchronize View Always Show Differences
Next Topic:"Replace With..." actions disabled during repository conflict state
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 07:09:22 GMT 2024