Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Pagination, Run Task, Render Task, and Writing to Disk(Do I really need to do all this just to get pagination working??)
Pagination, Run Task, Render Task, and Writing to Disk [message #1012586] Thu, 21 February 2013 20:53 Go to next message
Brad Mising name is currently offline Brad Mising nameFriend
We have a generic, deployed ReportGenerator app which executes the RunAndRender task on report design files and XML input data to generate reports. This has been used for a long time now for a wide range of reports. All good.

I have a requirement in the latest report design to generate paginated numbering within a subsection of the document (so managed with report vars and onPageEnd script event). These don't display when export from Report Designer directly to PDF, as expected, but only when exported to the Web Viewer first; the Run step, followed by export to PDF, the Render step.

Running it through the ReportGenerator app, it also fails to render the pagination data, which seems to be because of the use of RunAndRender single task. Solution as noted in multiple places is to run the separate Run task and Render task.

I can potentially modify the aged ReportGenerator app to perform this 2-step approach. But it seems this will write it to disk, then the Render will read from disk. What is best practise for this to avoid disk writing?
Also, I've seen some mention that if the design and inputs are unchanged between calls then the Run Task will not update the rptDocument as it would be the same. Is this correct and how is this managed?

Thanks
Brad

BIRT 2.6.2 (upgrade path constrained)
Re: Pagination, Run Task, Render Task, and Writing to Disk [message #1012597 is a reply to message #1012586] Thu, 21 February 2013 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

How variable is this section that needs the page numbering? Is it just a table listing? Are the rows fixed in height? Can you set a fixed page break interval to allow you to know how many records will be on a page? If so, you might be able to compute the number of pages that it will take up and display your number based on that, instead of the method of finding the pages in the generation phase and displaying what was found in the presentation phase. Let me know.

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: Pagination, Run Task, Render Task, and Writing to Disk [message #1012599 is a reply to message #1012597] Thu, 21 February 2013 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Michael

Unfortunately the content is multi-detail sub-table dynamic content. Calculating wouldn't be an option.

Thanks for the idea though
Re: Pagination, Run Task, Render Task, and Writing to Disk [message #1012612 is a reply to message #1012599] Thu, 21 February 2013 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I don't think there's going to be a good way to do this, without writing to the disk or without writing your own memory based document writer. You could control when the document gets written or when you simply render the report from an existing document.

Please log a bug in the bugzilla for the ability to use separate tasks without writing to disk and put the bug info in here, for future reference.

Michael

[Updated on: Fri, 22 February 2013 18:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Pagination, Run Task, Render Task, and Writing to Disk [message #1012679 is a reply to message #1012612] Fri, 22 February 2013 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah. Boo. Not the answer I was hoping for. I have seen some users in the forums mention similar problems but I was hoping that for something as simple as pagination that it wouldn't be needed.
I'll post solution here if it doesn't involve 'remove pagination from the report'
Re: Pagination, Run Task, Render Task, and Writing to Disk [message #1013076 is a reply to message #1012679] Fri, 22 February 2013 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yeah. Sorry. If you come up with a solution, I'd definitely be interested in hearing which route you took.

Michael

Re: Pagination, Run Task, Render Task, and Writing to Disk [message #1013955 is a reply to message #1013076] Sun, 24 February 2013 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We've decided to go with the default write to disk option and see how it goes - deal with it if it proves a problem. Report generation is likely to be the critical factor, more so than the disk write/read operations.

One thing I haven't been able to confirm: are reports saved to BIRT's tmp dir if a relative path given, and are they routinely purged?

Thanks
Re: Pagination, Run Task, Render Task, and Writing to Disk [message #1013995 is a reply to message #1013955] Sun, 24 February 2013 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's Jan Kohner's attempt at a non-disc implementation http://www.birt-exchange.org/org/devshare/designing-birt-reports/1517-creating-a-reportdocument-without-file-access/. Sounds ideal but I can't use it if it's not been through the full regression suite of tests. maybe somebody could own this and get it built into BIRT for a future release?
Re: Pagination, Run Task, Render Task, and Writing to Disk [message #1027996 is a reply to message #1012679] Wed, 27 March 2013 17:43 Go to previous message
Henning von Bargen is currently offline Henning von BargenFriend
We are using the following workaround in our application:

Note: This approach only works since we are not using the WebViewer, instead we developed our own BIRT server (which is not very difficult, by the way).

We have custom Java classes for describing where and how the page numbers should display in the resulting PDF:
* position on the page (a rect)
* justification (left, right or centered)
* font: name, point size, bold, italics
* format string (eg. "Page {0} of {1}"
* resetAtTOCLevel (an Integer)

In the BIRT report, we test if the target format is PDF.
If this is the case:
* We hide the page number layout items
* We write the layout instructions for the PostProcessor as objects into the reportContext.

After the RunAndRenderTask is finished,
the BIRT server checks the reportContext (great feature, by the way!) to see if the PostProcessor should be called.
It then calls the PostProcessor with the layout instruction objects and the PDF file.

The PostProcessor first renames the PDF, then uses an iText Stamper to add page numbering texts and writes the PDF with the original name.

For "grouped" page numbers, the BIRT report can tell the PostProcessor to reset the page number whenever a TOC (outline) entry of level N appears.

This way, we can e.g. create work lists for different departments with one report.

By using a list or table group within BIRT (TOC entries are generated per default),
BIRT then creates a report with pages 1-2 for dept A, page 3 for dept B, pages 4-6 for dept C (as an example).
There are TOC entries for each dept: dept A: Page 1, dept B: page 3, dept C: page 4.
The PostProcessor uses this to create page numbering texts like this:

Page 1: "Dept A, page 1 of 2"
Page 2: "Dept A, page 2 of 2"
Page 3: "Dept B, page 1 of 1"
Page 4: "Dept C, page 1 of 3"
Page 5: "Dept C, page 2 of 3"
Page 6: "Dept C, page 3 of 3"

This is somewhat ugly as BIRT doesn't offer this and we have to re-parse the PDF, but the additional time needed for this is minimal.

The time needed for developing this was not so minimal.
I'd like to see something like this integrated in the BIRT PDF emitter.

If someone is willing to give it a try, I'd talk with my boss to donate the code.
Previous Topic:Implementation of the zoom in a chart
Next Topic:Numberformatting on crosstab-columns through apply style
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:04:31 GMT 2024