Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Need help to integrate a vendor's Javadoc to Eclipse
icon5.gif  Need help to integrate a vendor's Javadoc to Eclipse [message #1005223] Thu, 24 January 2013 17:09 Go to next message
Ronan Jouchet is currently offline Ronan JouchetFriend

Hi. I'm working on some big Java enterpriseware (MatrixOne / ENOVIA V6, if you mind). The maintainers provide some kind of Javadoc, and I am able to read it as HTML in my browser.

However, I'm currently not able to integrate it to Eclipse, which is painful, because instead of just reading the Eclipse doc popups, I have to make round-trips to my browser. Here is what it looks like in Eclipse:
index.php/fa/13074/0/

After learning that the Javadoc can be defined at project and .jar level, I tried to do that, knowing that:

1. the javadoc folder contains a packages-list file (see attachment), which seems to sanely define the documented packages
  2. the javadoc folder contains the typical folder/subfolder package structure, itself containing ClassName.html files. E.g. the com.matrixone.apps.domain line of my packages-list file is matched by a com/matrixone/apps/domain, containing lots of ClassName.html files
  3. the javadoc folder doesn't contain a index.html file

When I try to define my Javadoc, the Validate... button fails, because of the missing index.html. Then if I create a dummy index.html file, validation works, but I still cannot see the Javadoc when hovering a vendor class/method.

So my basic question is: How can I get this skewed Javadoc to display in Eclipse? Sub-questions I see at this point are:

1. Was it a bad idea to create a dummy index.html file? If yes, what should I do? (i.e. what tags/meta-information does Eclipse expect?)
  2. A quick comparison of a standard Javadoc file (String.html, see attachment) vs. one of those vendor Javadoc (DomainObject.html, see attachment) reveals that meta-information possibly used by Eclipse is absent from my javadoc. For example, my Javadoc includes none of the many <meta> tags present in the String.html Javadoc
    → Does somebody know the logic/heuristic used by Eclipse to fetch a method/class Javadoc? Maybe point me to the code? With this information I may be able to understand what's skewed in my Javadoc, and hopefully fix it.
  3. Anything you see fit if you ever faced a similar problem Smile

I'm currently using Eclipse Juno SR1 on Java 7, under Windows 7.

Of course, feel free to ask for information I forgot to include. Thanks for your help!
Re: Need help to integrate a vendor's Javadoc to Eclipse [message #1006194 is a reply to message #1005223] Wed, 30 January 2013 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dani Megert is currently offline Dani MegertFriend
On 24.01.2013 19:22, Ronan Jouchet wrote:
> Hi. I'm working on some big Java enterpriseware (MatrixOne / ENOVIA V6, if you mind). The maintainers provide some kind of Javadoc, and I am able to read it as HTML in my browser.
>
> However, I'm currently not able to integrate it to Eclipse, which is painful, because instead of just reading the Eclipse doc popups, I have to make round-trips to my browser. Here is what it looks like in Eclipse:
>
>
> After learning that the Javadoc can be defined at project and .jar level, I tried to do that, knowing that:
>
> the javadoc folder contains a packages-list file (see attachment), which seems to sanely define the documented packages
> the javadoc folder contains the typical folder/subfolder package structure, itself containing ClassName.html files. E.g. the com.matrixone.apps.domain line of my packages-list file is matched by a com/matrixone/apps/domain, containing lots of ClassName.html files
> the javadoc folder doesn't contain a index.html file
This should work assuming that
- the Javadoc location points to the root where the package structure
(e.g. 'com') starts
- the file names in the leaf folders follow this pattern <typeName>.html

Dani
>
>
> When I try to define my Javadoc, the Validate... button fails, because of the missing index.html. Then if I create a dummy index.html file, validation works, but I still cannot see the Javadoc when hovering a vendor class/method.
>
> So my basic question is: How can I get this skewed Javadoc to display in Eclipse? Sub-questions I see at this point are:
>
> Was it a bad idea to create a dummy index.html file? If yes, what should I do? (i.e. what tags/meta-information does Eclipse expect?)
> A quick comparison of a standard Javadoc file (String.html, see attachment) vs. one of those vendor Javadoc (DomainObject.html, see attachment) reveals that meta-information possibly used by Eclipse is absent from my javadoc. For example, my Javadoc includes none of the many <meta> tags present in the String.html Javadoc
> → Does somebody know the logic/heuristic used by Eclipse to fetch a method/class Javadoc? Maybe point me to the code? With this information I may be able to understand what's skewed in my Javadoc, and hopefully fix it.
> Anything you see fit if you ever faced a similar problem :)
>
>
> I'm currently using Eclipse Juno SR1 on Java 7, under Windows 7.
>
> Of course, feel free to ask for information I forgot to include. Thanks for your help!
Re: Need help to integrate a vendor's Javadoc to Eclipse [message #1006226 is a reply to message #1006194] Wed, 30 January 2013 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ronan Jouchet is currently offline Ronan JouchetFriend

Hi Dani,

Yes, both constraints are respected:

1. the Javadoc location points to the root where the package structure (e.g. 'com') starts
  2. the file names in the leaf folders follow this pattern <typeName>.html

I'm attaching a listing of the Javadoc root, generated with dirhtml.
Re: Need help to integrate a vendor's Javadoc to Eclipse [message #1006479 is a reply to message #1006226] Thu, 31 January 2013 12:56 Go to previous message
Dani Megert is currently offline Dani MegertFriend
On 30.01.2013 14:58, Ronan Jouchet wrote:
> Hi Dani,
>
> Yes, both constraints are respected:
>
> the Javadoc location points to the root where the package structure (e.g. 'com') starts
> the file names in the leaf folders follow this pattern <typeName>.html
>
> I'm attaching a listing of the Javadoc root, generated with dirhtml.
I can't tell why it's not working. You would have to create an example
and file a bug against JDT UI.

Dani
Previous Topic:Determining version of JRE programmatically
Next Topic:How do i install EclipseTrader?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:26:49 GMT 2024