Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » How to analyse the runtime of my java programm
How to analyse the runtime of my java programm [message #990807] Fri, 14 December 2012 10:41 Go to next message
Mina Minic is currently offline Mina MinicFriend
Hello everyone!

I have a small problem and since I have searched the internet for more than two hours without finding a result, I am asking for your help!!!

I want to analyze the runtime of my java program in eclipse, but without installing any plugins! Is this somehow possible? I found on some pages suggestions like:

project -> run as -> run configurations, and then in the argument tab to choose for the program argument -pg. but this is not working.. nothing happens when I put this.

Is there any other solution?? Am I doing something wrong?? please hHELP!!!
Re: How to analyse the runtime of my java programm [message #990913 is a reply to message #990807] Fri, 14 December 2012 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
What exactly do you mean by "analyze the runtime"?
If you want to profile your program, you need a profiler.
Which component should interpret the "-pg" argument?
Re: How to analyse the runtime of my java programm [message #991010 is a reply to message #990913] Sun, 16 December 2012 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mina Minic is currently offline Mina MinicFriend
For some reason, my program is really slow, and therefore I have to find out why - what part of needs the most of the runtime.. I've read somewhere that there is a possible way with that kind of plugins to analyse the runtime, you get like a file result with all the methods inside and how long each took (from the time I mean)

can I do this with the filter thing you told me?
Re: How to analyse the runtime of my java programm [message #991154 is a reply to message #991010] Mon, 17 December 2012 14:51 Go to previous message
Thomas   is currently offline Thomas Friend
If you don't want to install anything, I would recommend using JVisualVM to profile your program. As long as you have the JDK installed, you should be able to find it in the "bin" folder of your JDK. Once you have it up, run your program, click on your program in the tree on the left, go to the "Profiler" tab, and click on the CPU button.

For more information, look at http://visualvm.java.net/profiler.html

Note that if your installation of the JDK is old enough that the included JVisualVM doesn't have the "Profiler" tab, you should probably update your JDK, or at least update to the latest version of JVisualVM.
Previous Topic:Forced to set project specific settings
Next Topic:Please I need your suggestions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 00:38:15 GMT 2024