Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Cross compiler for DOS?
Cross compiler for DOS? [message #989311] Wed, 05 December 2012 15:46
Johnny Snail is currently offline Johnny SnailFriend
Hi all,

we are (amongst others) doing development for medical devices which are controlled by an embedded PC (which is, of course, equipped with custom hardware). The PC runs under DOS which is only used to start the controlling software which actually is some sort of custom realtime O/S.

However, the controlling software is DOS software, so we need a compiler which is able to generate real 16-bit DOS code. Currently we are using Borland C++ 5.02 under Windows, i.e. we have a working development environment.

But although BC++ 5.02 still runs like a charm (even under Windows 7) despite its age, the IDE is very outdated: no code completion, no search in multiple files, and so on.

Therefore, we would like to move towards Eclipse / CDT as IDE. But we don't know if there is any C compiler which a) is reasonably integrated in Eclipse and b) is able to generate real 16-bit DOS code.

From what I read on the web, I got the impression that the only reasonably integrated compilers are GCC / MingW and its relatives, and that these can't generate DOS code. I did not see any hints that DJGPP, DigitalMars or OpenWatcom could easily be integrated into Eclipse.

Does anybody know about a ready-to-use solution for generating real DOS programs using the Eclipse / CDT IDE?

Thank you very much for your time,

Johnny The Snail
Previous Topic:Eclipse cannot find already included libraries ? (Desparate for help)
Next Topic:Errors appear and disappear depending on if file is open
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:02:21 GMT 2024