Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse is too slow and uses too much memory(I am having severe performance trouble with Eclipse Juno)
Eclipse is too slow and uses too much memory [message #986062] Sun, 18 November 2012 01:01 Go to next message
Blah McBlah is currently offline Blah McBlahFriend
I'm brand new to Eclipse so I don't know what's normal but it seems to be using way more memory than necessary. It's super slow too. It takes a minute to just start and 5-10 seconds to just open a file or display a context menu. It won't even let me scroll up and down in a file without making me wait every half page. It's unusable. So I assume there is a remedy or else nobody would be able to use it.

I'm using Juno and I start it with
"C:\Program Files\eclipse\eclipse.exe" -vmargs -Xms256m -Xmx256m -XX:PermSize=128m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m

I changed -Xms256m -Xmx256m to -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m and it did the same thing.

To start with, Eclipse is using around 300 MB of memory. This seems like a lot because Dreamweaver is only using about 50 MB to do basically the same thing. It's not a CAD program or anything.

But then if I open a 5 KB file, all of a sudden the Eclipse memory jumps a hundred MB. Then if I close the file, the memory doesn't go down. Eventually, it consumes all of my memory and grinds painfully to a hault.

I read that there's a Juno memory bug scheduled for remedy in February. Can someone recommend something to do in the meantime?

Windows XP Home
1.5 GB Memory
500 GB disk
dual core Intel Atom 1.6 GHz processor

here is what's installed...
index.php/fa/12429/0/

Thanks!!!
Re: Eclipse is too slow and uses too much memory [message #986064 is a reply to message #986062] Sun, 18 November 2012 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

What kind of file are you opening? It can make a difference. Aside from that, setting it to use a full gigabyte of memory when the machine only has 1.5 physically might not be a good idea (I'd expect to see a lot of swapping to disk if you did that with -Xms), and generally an Atom processor won't give you the kind of performance you'd expect from a "regular" machine.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Eclipse is too slow and uses too much memory [message #986110 is a reply to message #986064] Sun, 18 November 2012 23:16 Go to previous message
Blah McBlah is currently offline Blah McBlahFriend
Hi Nitin

Thanks. The files I'm opening are HTML, JavaScript and Java files.

So, I'm not claiming that my computer is super fast but I'm hesitant to blame the hardware outright for the simple reason that I am able to use this computer for all the heavyweight Adobe programs like Photoshop without anything near the sluggishness and memory binge I get out of Eclipse.

My heart is nearly broken to think that Eclipse, the one potentially unifying standard of this whole opensource leaderless chaos, could also be the worst performing program I have ever installed (short of Autocad, which has a pretty good excuse for using tons of memory). So there's got to be something peculiar about my installation of it and as soon as I clear it up, I'm sure it will run speedily. Right?
Previous Topic:Recent and Open Projects feature in Eclipse IDE
Next Topic:Ocaml eclipse extensions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:20:42 GMT 2024