Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » "Synchronizing" two editors
"Synchronizing" two editors [message #980355] Sun, 11 November 2012 15:49 Go to next message
Tim E. is currently offline Tim E.Friend
Hi,

I'm new to GEF and new to this forum.

Currently I'm trying to estimate the effort of a project.

The project is about a Domain Specific Language. The actual status is a text-editor as an eclipse plug-in for this language, providing syntax highlight, outline, auto-completion etc... There is also a parser which "translates" the text into a data structure (abstract syntax tree) to get information about it.

Now the new project would be to visualize the textual representation by another "graphical"-editor plug-in in eclipse based on GEF.

Now I'm reading a lot about GEF and Draw2D etc... But there is one thing about which a cannot find any information. Probably because I don't have a clue what to search for Smile

Imagine I got a graphical editor based on GEF for visualizing the model. Now I want to be able to open both editors at the same time and synchronize changes. I know that GEF uses the Observer Pattern so propagate information about changes in the model but I don't know how I could manage the following:

If I change the text and for example add something, a new figure should be drawn in the graphical editor. And vice versa for changes in the graphical editor.

Does anyone here have any experience or useful information for me. At least some keywords I should google?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Re: "Synchronizing" two editors [message #985421 is a reply to message #980355] Thu, 15 November 2012 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Krakora is currently offline Jan KrakoraFriend
Hi, take a look at this article, it gives you great overview over GEF framework.
http://wiki.eclipse.org/GEF_Description
Re: "Synchronizing" two editors [message #985473 is a reply to message #985421] Thu, 15 November 2012 12:26 Go to previous message
Tim E. is currently offline Tim E.Friend
Thanks a lot. I'll take a look...
Previous Topic:Release version and update sites
Next Topic:Minimun ellipse bound that contain a point relative to the bound's origin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 08:37:21 GMT 2024