Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » Size of .rptdocument(The size of an rptdocument is 3GB)
Size of .rptdocument [message #973870] Tue, 06 November 2012 17:37 Go to next message
Marwan Simaan is currently offline Marwan SimaanFriend
Hello,

How can we control the size of the .rptdocument produced?
I am generating a report on a small dataset ~ 7000 rows. The report on the other hand contains nested groups and aggregations. The size of the rptdocument reaches 3 GB.

Is this normal? Can it be affected by any parameter used?
Note that the size of the generated HTML is 46 MB and the pdf is 3 MB.

I can provide you with more information if needed.

Thanks,
Marwan
Re: Size of .rptdocument [message #975359 is a reply to message #973870] Wed, 07 November 2012 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

The report document will contain all the data needed to render your report, based on your design. Nested tables and such will increase the size. If you can attach your design, I might be able to point out some stuff you could do to improve this.

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: Size of .rptdocument [message #977492 is a reply to message #975359] Fri, 09 November 2012 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The report is attached. A colleague of mine has already sent the report to investigate the performance.
My concern here is more about the size of the rptdocument, so you confirm that this is not related to the way we use the Engine API? There are no parameters that control this?

Thanks,
Marwan
Re: Size of .rptdocument [message #982378 is a reply to message #977492] Tue, 13 November 2012 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I may have found an issue. You have a few data elements bound to the same dataSet that is used for the outer table. This may be causing part of your large .rptdocument issue. If there isn't a reason for this, you might try removing the dataSet binding from these individual elements and let them inherit from the table.

PS_NAME, PS_TEL, and PS_FAX

Let me know.

Michael

Re: Size of .rptdocument [message #985916 is a reply to message #982378] Fri, 16 November 2012 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am a newbie to report design in BIRT. Can you explain more the concept?
Currently I am using the Data formulas dataSetRow[PS_NAME] for example. How can I take the data from the table?
What do you mean by outer table? Is it the resultset?
Re: Size of .rptdocument [message #986027 is a reply to message #985916] Sat, 17 November 2012 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The bindings I listed are in the only dataSet you have, which is the same table that is bound to the table. When you drag a field over, into a table bound to the same dataSet, already, it doesn't list bindings, in the binding tab. If you click on the data elements, in your design, that I listed above, you'll see that they are individually bound to the dataSet. Try setting these elements to have no dataSet. This will cause them to inherit from the table.

Michael

Re: Size of .rptdocument [message #986451 is a reply to message #986027] Tue, 20 November 2012 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This solved the problem of the size. It went down to 50 MB.
Thanks a lot for the help.

I would like to understand though what created all that size? How many times was the dataset written?
Re: Size of .rptdocument [message #986559 is a reply to message #986451] Tue, 20 November 2012 23:07 Go to previous message

It would have been running the embedded dataSet for each group. So, however many groups there were. And yours was in group2, so it would have been however many group two elements there are for each group1 value, added together.

Michael

[Updated on: Tue, 20 November 2012 23:10]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:After deploy on tomcat if statement doesnt work
Next Topic:how can i change y-axis
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:19:22 GMT 2024