Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Whats the best way to add complex external web apps sources/projects as new projects in eclipse?
Whats the best way to add complex external web apps sources/projects as new projects in eclipse? [message #971344] Sun, 04 November 2012 20:32
Ray Ray is currently offline Ray RayFriend
Apologies if this is a jaded topic but I have only been using eclipse for a little while now...I understand how to create my own code from scratch..creating projects...linking folders, importing jars etc....and all works fine...

but...

what I really need to more often is

a:) to import existing source applications into eclipse, test to make sure it compiles and import my workspace into other tools (source code scanners).

b:) modify source from existing app and then redeploy.

For ex, right now I need to import the apache webmail app Hupa into eclipse, fix, some security defects in various parts of the code and then import my workspace or war up again into various source code scanners..and repeat until it passes tests.

I have the hupa jar and the source zip which is structured in a very different directory structure than a WTP Dynamic Web App..for ex there are many sub directories with their own src directories, build, lib etc.

The jar btw is only classes, and the source zip only java code...so actually what I need to is import the source contents exactly as is..and then add the jars to classpath from the extracted jar.

I can not see a way to specify a linked folder right from the start of creating a project..nor want to link ALL the source and bin directories back to the structure of the WTP as that would take way too long (perhaps I am off base here)...

I know there has be a way I am missing ...can some please pass on what I am missing or what is the best to create web projects (so I have all the views and settings)..but point/import to a source directory that has TOTALLY different structures than the WTP Projects?

I have already spent several days trying to get this work Sad..Most of the stuff google turns out on this are simple projects (few java files in one directory/one source etc...) that do not really apply to me...so I am hoping I can get some help for some folks who understand and have done this also for what I would call complex projects!

BTW, The best approach I am doing now that works on some apps is simply dump everything into the webcontent folder...but that trick only goes so far when the source and jars dont line up nicely..and you have a lot of them....????

Thanks very much to all in advance!

[Updated on: Mon, 05 November 2012 03:20]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Running WTP tests
Next Topic:Whats a trick to compile in eclipse when you have jars with just source files?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 22:00:13 GMT 2024