Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Visual Editor (VE) » with VE to the outside world?
with VE to the outside world? [message #137073] Tue, 03 April 2007 11:35 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: firsthightower.hotmail.com

Hello,

In school we've just been using Eclipse for a few times now and I'm realy amazed about it! We've programmed a little calculator with the VE and it felt soo good to realy build something with the java-code; and such an easy way to do this!

As I'm not in computerscience (doing electronics) I wonder if its possible with Eclipse to communicate with the serial port (or even the USB port). This way I could approach microcontrollers and control them through computer!! I know that this will need some .dll wich will speak to the port, but furthermore I'm totaly new but very interested in this material!

Another quick question is: How can I change my little calculator in a stand-alone executable program - on this way that I'd be able to open it on any pc with a JVM. It should be done by changing it to a JAR-file? But how to change this and how to convert this to an executable file?

Thanks in advance!

John
Re: with VE to the outside world? [message #137085 is a reply to message #137073] Tue, 03 April 2007 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: richkulp.us.NO_SPAM.ibm.com

Hi,

I don't know about the serial port or USB port. Java can talk to drives,
so if the the USB port has something that looks like a driver plugged
into it then it would be able to talk to it.

To talk directly at the driver level can't be done directly through
java, it would require writing some C code and compiling that into a
dll. I can't answer questions about that though, I haven't done that in
years.

As for creating jar, there is help in the Eclipse help itself on doing
that. Bring up the help system and doing search on creating jars.

John wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In school we've just been using Eclipse for a few times now and I'm realy amazed about it! We've programmed a little calculator with the VE and it felt soo good to realy build something with the java-code; and such an easy way to do this!
>
> As I'm not in computerscience (doing electronics) I wonder if its possible with Eclipse to communicate with the serial port (or even the USB port). This way I could approach microcontrollers and control them through computer!! I know that this will need some .dll wich will speak to the port, but furthermore I'm totaly new but very interested in this material!
>
>
> Another quick question is: How can I change my little calculator in a stand-alone executable program - on this way that I'd be able to open it on any pc with a JVM. It should be done by changing it to a JAR-file? But how to change this and how to convert this to an executable file?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> John

--
Thanks,
Rich Kulp
Re: with VE to the outside world? [message #137097 is a reply to message #137073] Wed, 04 April 2007 07:04 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: johannes.testori.shark-soft.com

look at http://java.sun.com/products/javacomm/

hannes

John schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> In school we've just been using Eclipse for a few times now and I'm realy amazed about it! We've programmed a little calculator with the VE and it felt soo good to realy build something with the java-code; and such an easy way to do this!
>
> As I'm not in computerscience (doing electronics) I wonder if its possible with Eclipse to communicate with the serial port (or even the USB port). This way I could approach microcontrollers and control them through computer!! I know that this will need some .dll wich will speak to the port, but furthermore I'm totaly new but very interested in this material!
>
>
> Another quick question is: How can I change my little calculator in a stand-alone executable program - on this way that I'd be able to open it on any pc with a JVM. It should be done by changing it to a JAR-file? But how to change this and how to convert this to an executable file?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> John
Re: with VE to the outside world? [message #615177 is a reply to message #137073] Tue, 03 April 2007 13:30 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: richkulp.us.NO_SPAM.ibm.com

Hi,

I don't know about the serial port or USB port. Java can talk to drives,
so if the the USB port has something that looks like a driver plugged
into it then it would be able to talk to it.

To talk directly at the driver level can't be done directly through
java, it would require writing some C code and compiling that into a
dll. I can't answer questions about that though, I haven't done that in
years.

As for creating jar, there is help in the Eclipse help itself on doing
that. Bring up the help system and doing search on creating jars.

John wrote:
> Hello,
>
>
>
>
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> John

--
Thanks,
Rich Kulp
Re: with VE to the outside world? [message #615178 is a reply to message #137073] Wed, 04 April 2007 07:04 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: johannes.testori.shark-soft.com

look at http://java.sun.com/products/javacomm/

hannes

John schrieb:
> Hello,
>
>
>
>
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> John
Previous Topic:with VE to the outside world?
Next Topic:override the JTableEditPart
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:23:06 GMT 2024