Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Eclipse with C++-Builder 2007 (aka "RAD Studio")(Is there a toolchain for CodeGear RAD Studio 2007?)
Eclipse with C++-Builder 2007 (aka "RAD Studio") [message #945349] Mon, 15 October 2012 11:07 Go to next message
Robin Schmidt is currently offline Robin SchmidtFriend
Greetings, everyone!

Short version:
I'm looking for a way to import C++-Builder projects into Eclipse. C++-Builder doesn't provide/create makefiles.

Longer version:
I recently started working for a company that's using CodeGear RAD Studio 2007 (formerly Borland C++-Builder, nowadays owned by Embarcadero). Since this relict of ancient software design is simply horrible to work with, I'm looking for an alternative. A friend suggested Eclipse, and what I've seen so far looks excellent.

(Beware! I'm a total Eclipse noob, so perhaps I'm not telling facts here!) In order to work with a C++ project in Eclipse, I need to import the makefile. Problem is: C++-Builder doesn't use makefiles and has no way to create them either. Searching the net for a way to convert .cbproj to makefile resulted in this: "This feature has been removed because the format of the project file has been changed to support msbuild. Command line builds of projects can now be done directly form the .cbproj file by calling it with msbuild like this: msbuild /t:build project1.cbproj" (from the Embarcadero support site, bug#68149)

So, I'm kinda stuck here and figured maybe someone else has figured that out already (I can't be the only one getting nightmares from using C++Builder) or can help me figure out how to get this working (PLEASE!!)...

Note: I do not neccessarily need to compile the project from within Eclipse (nice2have). However, I do need symbolic referencing, refactoring functions and syntax-highlighting of methods and variables a.s.f.

Thanks for reading! Smile
Robin
Re: Eclipse with C++-Builder 2007 (aka "RAD Studio") [message #946392 is a reply to message #945349] Tue, 16 October 2012 07:02 Go to previous message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
There is no need to use makefiles. It is just the default behavior to call make which then parses the makefile for building. If you can start the build process by invoking Quote:
msbuild /t:build project1.cbproj
then you can change the default build command in Project Properties->C/C++ Build
http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/topic/org.eclipse.cdt.doc.user/tasks/cdt_t_proj_build_set.htm

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Previous Topic:"files to index up-front" disappeared in Version 8.1
Next Topic:Starting GDB Hardware Debugging just works one time
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:30:04 GMT 2024