Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BIRT » Deploying to WebSphere Application Server
Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #130671] Wed, 15 February 2006 14:55 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: spsanford2.llbean.com

Hi All,
I have installed and have been running the BIRT Report Viewer web
application in my IBM WSAD IDE for several weeks. Most things have run as
expected without problems. However, when I deploy the BIRT Viewer to my
WebSphere application server, reports that are run in pdf format display a
blank window in IE (no Adobe toolbar, nothing). If I change to display in
HTML format everything works fine. I have insured that the itext-1.3.jar
file is in the proper place in the birt.war file (I think). The same
deployment to the WebSphere app server with BIRT V2 Milestone2 worked fine
(pre itext pdf generation). I have project deadlines looming and am in
desperate need of help.

Any assistance on this is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance!!
~Scott
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #130685 is a reply to message #130671] Wed, 15 February 2006 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frédéric Ferrant is currently offline Frédéric FerrantFriend
Messages: 75
Registered: July 2009
Member
It's an IE issue...
Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=305153 (Title:
Internet Explorer Opens a Blank Page with a Placeholder Icon Instead
of a .pdf File in Adobe Acrobat Reader)

:o

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:55:00 +0000 (UTC), spsanford2@llbean.com (Scott
Sanford) wrote:

>Hi All,
>I have installed and have been running the BIRT Report Viewer web
>application in my IBM WSAD IDE for several weeks. Most things have run as
>expected without problems. However, when I deploy the BIRT Viewer to my
>WebSphere application server, reports that are run in pdf format display a
>blank window in IE (no Adobe toolbar, nothing). If I change to display in
>HTML format everything works fine. I have insured that the itext-1.3.jar
>file is in the proper place in the birt.war file (I think). The same
>deployment to the WebSphere app server with BIRT V2 Milestone2 worked fine
>(pre itext pdf generation). I have project deadlines looming and am in
>desperate need of help.
>
>Any assistance on this is greatly appreciated!!
>Thanks in advance!!
>~Scott
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #130697 is a reply to message #130685] Wed, 15 February 2006 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frédéric Ferrant is currently offline Frédéric FerrantFriend
Messages: 75
Registered: July 2009
Member
Use this to embed the PDF in your page, it should then be opened...

You can embed the pdf file as an object into your html page, so when
that page is loaded it will start to run Acrobat reader inside it, the
same way Windows Media player would run for a media file.

<OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:CA8A9780-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000" WIDTH=800
HEIGHT=600> <PARAM NAME="SRC" VALUE="item3.PDF"> <EMBED
SRC="item3.PDF" HEIGHT=800 WIDTH=600> <NOEMBED> Your browser does not
support embedded PDF files. </NOEMBED> </EMBED></OBJECT>

(of course, you can change height and width, to 100% for example)

>It's an IE issue...
>Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=305153 (Title:
>Internet Explorer Opens a Blank Page with a Placeholder Icon Instead
>of a .pdf File in Adobe Acrobat Reader)
>
>:o
>
>>Hi All,
>>I have installed and have been running the BIRT Report Viewer web
>>application in my IBM WSAD IDE for several weeks. Most things have run as
>>expected without problems. However, when I deploy the BIRT Viewer to my
>>WebSphere application server, reports that are run in pdf format display a
>>blank window in IE (no Adobe toolbar, nothing). If I change to display in
>>HTML format everything works fine. I have insured that the itext-1.3.jar
>>file is in the proper place in the birt.war file (I think). The same
>>deployment to the WebSphere app server with BIRT V2 Milestone2 worked fine
>>(pre itext pdf generation). I have project deadlines looming and am in
>>desperate need of help.
>>
>>Any assistance on this is greatly appreciated!!
>>Thanks in advance!!
>>~Scott
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #130710 is a reply to message #130685] Wed, 15 February 2006 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: spsanford2.llbean.com

Thanks for your prompt feedback, Frederic!! I appreciate it!!

Unfortunately, the mime types on my server are correct, and I have no
control over the http headers that BIRT generates. Like I said, this
worked fine in the Milestone 2 release (pre itext-1.3.jar).

Also, I don't get a placeholder icon where the pdf should be displayed (as
is described on the microsoft site). I get absolutely nothing.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks.
~Scott
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #130748 is a reply to message #130671] Wed, 15 February 2006 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: to.sreddy.gmail.com

Scott,
Which version of WSAD you are using? I tried with WSAD 5.0, i got
unsupported version problem.
Could you please tell me how did yoy integrate the Birt Viewer to WSAD?
Thanks
Srini
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #130881 is a reply to message #130710] Wed, 15 February 2006 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: sarah.dewar.farrow.com

I'm experiencing a simlilar problem trying to run BIRT reports in
Websphere on the iSeries. When I try to run a report with a chart or if I
try to display a report in pdf format I get a completely blank page with
no error message. When I try to run a report with a chart using the the
viewer I get the following error.

Exception in:
soapenv:Server.userException
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

Running reports with simple tables in html format work fine. Also,
previewing reports in my RAD v6.0.1 is working fine.
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #130894 is a reply to message #130748] Wed, 15 February 2006 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: spsanford2.llbean.com

srini wrote:

> Scott,
> Which version of WSAD you are using? I tried with WSAD 5.0, i got
> unsupported version problem.
> Could you please tell me how did yoy integrate the Birt Viewer to WSAD?
> Thanks
> Srini

Srini,
I am using WSAD 5.1.1 and had the same problem with compatibility. What I
did to fix the problem was to create an empty web project called Birt
(also create an EAR project called BirtEAR). For the web project, right
click and choose properties, then select the web option on the properties
dialog. Here you need to set the J2EE level to 1.2 (it is probably
defaulted to 1.3). I then imported the birt.war file that comes in the
birt-runtime-2_0_0.zip file, and made the additions of jar files, js
files, etc. as noted on the Birt website. Then build the project and
deploy it to your WSAD test server. I get error messages on the build,
but it seems OK. That should do it for you.
Good Luck.
~Scott
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #130973 is a reply to message #130894] Thu, 16 February 2006 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: to.sreddy.gmail.com

Scott,
Thanks for your reply.
I have a couple of questions.
1) I have been through the documentation...i have to copy iText 1.3.jar
file into
/birt.war/plugins/org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.emitter.pdf /lib .
I did not find that path, i can see
/birt.war/plugins/org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.emitter.fo/ lib
can i copy iText1.3.jar file into this path?
2)Copy prototype.js v1.4.0 to /birt.war/ajax/lib directory.
I did't find that path, shall i copy prototype.js into /birt.war/js/
3) Did you create a link file from WSAD to BIRT 2.0?Are you able to open
BIRT Designer from WSAD ?
Thanks
Srini
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #131073 is a reply to message #130710] Thu, 16 February 2006 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frédéric Ferrant is currently offline Frédéric FerrantFriend
Messages: 75
Registered: July 2009
Member
We had the same problem (white window, no icon), solved using the code
copied below).

I suggest the folowing:
1. Try with another browser, to check wether the problem is linked
with IE or not.
2. If it works with another (recent) browser, then it is a problem
caused by I: try my second suggestion:
<OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:CA8A9780-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000"
WIDTH=800 HEIGHT=600> <PARAM NAME="SRC" VALUE="item3.PDF"> <EMBED
SRC="item3.PDF" HEIGHT=800 WIDTH=600> <NOEMBED> Your browser does not
support embedded PDF files. </NOEMBED> </EMBED></OBJECT>

Have a nice day.

>Thanks for your prompt feedback, Frederic!! I appreciate it!!
>
>Unfortunately, the mime types on my server are correct, and I have no
>control over the http headers that BIRT generates. Like I said, this
>worked fine in the Milestone 2 release (pre itext-1.3.jar).
>
>Also, I don't get a placeholder icon where the pdf should be displayed (as
>is described on the microsoft site). I get absolutely nothing.
>
>Has anyone else experienced this?
>Thanks.
>~Scott
>
>
>
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #131219 is a reply to message #130973] Thu, 16 February 2006 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: spsanford2.llbean.com

srini wrote:

> Scott,
> Thanks for your reply.
> I have a couple of questions.
> 1) I have been through the documentation...i have to copy iText 1.3.jar
> file into
> /birt.war/plugins/org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.emitter.pdf /lib .
> I did not find that path, i can see
> /birt.war/plugins/org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.emitter.fo/ lib
> can i copy iText1.3.jar file into this path?
> 2)Copy prototype.js v1.4.0 to /birt.war/ajax/lib directory.
> I did't find that path, shall i copy prototype.js into /birt.war/js/
> 3) Did you create a link file from WSAD to BIRT 2.0?Are you able to open
> BIRT Designer from WSAD ?
> Thanks
> Srini

Srini,
1. You should have the
plugins/org.eclipse.birt.report.engine.emitter.pdf/lib directory in the
war file. Make sure you extract the .war from the latest copy of the
birt-runtime-2_0_0.zip file from the BIRT download site.
2. Same here. You should have an ajax/lib directory in the .war file.
3. We are using the RCP Designer (Rich Client) instead of the eclipse
plug-in. Not all of our "report developers" will have WSAD.
Best,
~Scott
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #131232 is a reply to message #131073] Thu, 16 February 2006 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: spsanford2.llbean.com

Frederic Ferrant wrote:

> We had the same problem (white window, no icon), solved using the code
> copied below).

> I suggest the folowing:
> 1. Try with another browser, to check wether the problem is linked
> with IE or not.
> 2. If it works with another (recent) browser, then it is a problem
> caused by I: try my second suggestion:
> <OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:CA8A9780-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000"
> WIDTH=800 HEIGHT=600> <PARAM NAME="SRC" VALUE="item3.PDF"> <EMBED
> SRC="item3.PDF" HEIGHT=800 WIDTH=600> <NOEMBED> Your browser does not
> support embedded PDF files. </NOEMBED> </EMBED></OBJECT>

> Have a nice day.

Frederic,
Thanks again for your reply. Where would this code go if I am simply
using the BIRT Report Viewer? For example, I use the following URL in my
browser and have this problem:
http://mywasserver/Birt/run?__format=pdf&__report=myRepo rt.rptdesign

Best Regards,
~Scott
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #131403 is a reply to message #130881] Thu, 16 February 2006 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: dperry.aaamissouri.com

Sarah - are you using RAD 6.0.1 or RAD 6.0.1.1?

"Sarah Dewar" <sarah.dewar@farrow.com> wrote in message
news:21e73b28f762744b76cbad4ebd1f8b78$1@www.eclipse.org...
> I'm experiencing a simlilar problem trying to run BIRT reports in
> Websphere on the iSeries. When I try to run a report with a chart or if I
> try to display a report in pdf format I get a completely blank page with
> no error message. When I try to run a report with a chart using the the
> viewer I get the following error.
>
> Exception in:
> soapenv:Server.userException
> java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
>
> Running reports with simple tables in html format work fine. Also,
> previewing reports in my RAD v6.0.1 is working fine.
>
>
>
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #131415 is a reply to message #131403] Thu, 16 February 2006 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: sarah.dewar.farrow.com

I'm using RAD 6.0.1

Sarah
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #131484 is a reply to message #131219] Thu, 16 February 2006 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: to.sreddy.gmail.com

Scott,
I have down loaded latest birt-runtime-2_0_0.zip and copied other jars in
correct place. After the deployment, it displayed the JSP showing "BIRt
viewer has been installed " , then i click on "View Example" link, its
howing
an error.
Failed to load servlet: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
org/eclipse/birt/report/viewer/servlet/ViewerServlet (Unsupported
major.minor version 48.0)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java(Compiled Code))
at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoade r.java(Compiled
Code))
at
com.ibm.ws.classloader.CompoundClassLoader._defineClass(Comp oundClassLoader.java:381)
at
com.ibm.ws.classloader.CompoundClassLoader.findClass(Compoun dClassLoader.java:348)
at
com.ibm.ws.classloader.CompoundClassLoader.loadClass(Compoun dClassLoader.java:252)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java(Compiled Code))
at
com.ibm.ws.classloader.ReloadableClassLoader.loadClass(Reloa dableClassLoader.java:76)
Any idea?
Srini
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #131715 is a reply to message #131484] Thu, 16 February 2006 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: spsanford2.llbean.com

srini wrote:

> Scott,
> I have down loaded latest birt-runtime-2_0_0.zip and copied other jars in
> correct place. After the deployment, it displayed the JSP showing "BIRt
> viewer has been installed " , then i click on "View Example" link, its
> howing
> an error.
> Failed to load servlet: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
> org/eclipse/birt/report/viewer/servlet/ViewerServlet (Unsupported
> major.minor version 48.0)
> at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
> at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java(Compiled Code))
> at
> java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoade r.java(Compiled
> Code))
> at
>
com.ibm.ws.classloader.CompoundClassLoader._defineClass(Comp oundClassLoader.java:381)
> at
>
com.ibm.ws.classloader.CompoundClassLoader.findClass(Compoun dClassLoader.java:348)
> at
>
com.ibm.ws.classloader.CompoundClassLoader.loadClass(Compoun dClassLoader.java:252)
> at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java(Compiled Code))
> at
>
com.ibm.ws.classloader.ReloadableClassLoader.loadClass(Reloa dableClassLoader.java:76)
> Any idea?
> Srini

Did you set the J2EE level of the Birt web project to 1.2?
If not, do this: for the BIRT web project, right click and choose
properties, then select the web option on the properties dialog. Here you
need to set the J2EE level to 1.2 (it is probably defaulted to 1.3). Then
import the birt.war file that comes in the birt-runtime-2_0_0.zip file,
and make the additions of jar files, js files, etc. as noted on the Birt
website. Then build the project and deploy it to your WSAD test server.
This should fix the problem.

You can do a Google Groups search on "major.minor version 48.0" for more
info.

Regards,
~Scott
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #131777 is a reply to message #131715] Thu, 16 February 2006 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: to.sreddy.gmail.com

Scott,
I changed class loader mode to "Parent Last" for my BirtProject and .war
file.I get rid of the earlier problem, still i have a JavaScript error.

An error occured in the script

error: Syntax error
URL:
http://localhost:9080/BirtProject/frameset?__report=test.rpt design&sample=my+parameter.

What could be the reason.
Thanks
Srini
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #132126 is a reply to message #131777] Fri, 17 February 2006 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: spsanford2.llbean.com

srini wrote:

> Scott,
> I changed class loader mode to "Parent Last" for my BirtProject and .war
> file.I get rid of the earlier problem, still i have a JavaScript error.

> An error occured in the script

> error: Syntax error
> URL:
>
http://localhost:9080/BirtProject/frameset?__report=test.rpt design&sample=my+parameter.

> What could be the reason.
> Thanks
> Srini

Hi Srini,
I forgot to mention earlier that I also had to change the js.jar file in
my WSAD installation. I also was getting java exceptions in the BIRT
javascript functionality. I updated this file and they went away. Just
do a search for js.jar - you may find several versions on your machine.
Replace the one in your WSAD classpath with a newer one (my new one is
683K and dated 10/27/2005). I hope this helps.
Regards,
~Scott
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #132149 is a reply to message #132126] Fri, 17 February 2006 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: sarah.dewar.farrow.com

Srini,

You really shouldn't just replace the js.jar file in your WSAD
installation. Setting your war's class loader mode to "Parent Last" is
the way to go. This way the js.jar file from BIRT is loaded before the
one in the WSAD installation, resolving the error.

I'm not sure why you're getting a Javascript error.

Sarah



> srini wrote:

>> Scott,
>> I changed class loader mode to "Parent Last" for my BirtProject and .war
>> file.I get rid of the earlier problem, still i have a JavaScript error.

>> An error occured in the script

>> error: Syntax error
>> URL:
>>
>
http://localhost:9080/BirtProject/frameset?__report=test.rpt design&sample=my+parameter.

>> What could be the reason.
>> Thanks
>> Srini

> Hi Srini,
> I forgot to mention earlier that I also had to change the js.jar file in
> my WSAD installation. I also was getting java exceptions in the BIRT
> javascript functionality. I updated this file and they went away. Just
> do a search for js.jar - you may find several versions on your machine.
> Replace the one in your WSAD classpath with a newer one (my new one is
> 683K and dated 10/27/2005). I hope this helps.
> Regards,
> ~Scott
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #132235 is a reply to message #132149] Fri, 17 February 2006 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: to.sreddy.gmail.com

Scott, Sarah,
Before i modify the class loader mode to "Parent Last" i was getting the
following error.
Failed to load servlet: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
org/eclipse/birt/report/viewer/servlet/ViewerServlet
(Unsupported major.minor version 48.0)
After modifying the class loader mode to "Parent Last" i get rid of that
error, but getting this java Script error.
I checked the size of js.jar file in my
"BirtProject/Webcontect/Web-Inf/lib" its 683k and time stamp 01/24/06.
Scott....is that the only place i need to take care of the js.jar or any
other places too..
Sarah, i am using IE 6.0
Thanks,
Srini
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #132275 is a reply to message #132235] Fri, 17 February 2006 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: spsanford2.llbean.com

srini wrote:

> Scott, Sarah,
> Before i modify the class loader mode to "Parent Last" i was getting the
> following error.
> Failed to load servlet: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
> org/eclipse/birt/report/viewer/servlet/ViewerServlet
> (Unsupported major.minor version 48.0)
> After modifying the class loader mode to "Parent Last" i get rid of that
> error, but getting this java Script error.
> I checked the size of js.jar file in my
> "BirtProject/Webcontect/Web-Inf/lib" its 683k and time stamp 01/24/06.
> Scott....is that the only place i need to take care of the js.jar or any
> other places too..
> Sarah, i am using IE 6.0
> Thanks,
> Srini

Srini,
Sarah's suggestion to change the class loader to Parent Last fixes the
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError exception. I have not gotten any
javascript errors, so I can't help you there. Sorry.
~Scott
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #136366 is a reply to message #131777] Mon, 27 February 2006 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ravi is currently offline RaviFriend
Messages: 92
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hi Srini,

Were you able to get away with the Javascript error?. Even, I am getting
the same after deploying Birt runtime 2.0 in WAS 6.0.0.1.

Surprisingly, apart from making the Class loader mode from "Parent First"
to "Parent Last", I had to even change WAR class loader policy to
"Application" from "Module".

Well, any clue for resolving the Javascript error?

Thanks,
Ravi.
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #136451 is a reply to message #136366] Mon, 27 February 2006 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: to.sreddy.gmail.com

The only way to get rid of the java Script is to change the Class Loader
Mode to "Parent Last", unfortunately that functionality not working in
IRAD 6.0, so i switched back to WSAD 5.1.1 and BIRT 1.0 its working fine
for me, if i try with BIRT 2.0, i am getting JVM Termination error.
hope this will help.
srini
Re: Deploying to WebSphere Application Server [message #1790796 is a reply to message #130671] Mon, 18 June 2018 06:41 Go to previous message
Prateek Jain is currently offline Prateek JainFriend
Messages: 3
Registered: June 2018
Junior Member
I am using WebSphere server and need help in Localizing Text in Column Headings of table in BIRT report.

I have designed a BIRT report where Column Headings, Report Name and other labels are localized. I have placed the properties files in the resources folder and run the report.
I have created 3 properties file (default(ENGLISH),name_es_ES(SPANISH), name_eu_EU(ENGLISH)). The problem is that when I am trying to generate the report in WebSphere , Report Name is getting replaced with "name_es_ES"(SPANISH) value from property file of Spanish, but Column Headings refers default(ENGLISH).

Thank You
Prateek Jain
Previous Topic:Html5
Next Topic:birt generated csv not open in excel as utf-8
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Sep 23 19:43:46 GMT 2018

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02041 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top