Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Virgo tooling: issues with hot deploy to server in Servers view
Virgo tooling: issues with hot deploy to server in Servers view [message #940100] Thu, 11 October 2012 10:06 Go to next message
Barbara Rosi-Schwartz is currently offline Barbara Rosi-SchwartzFriend
Hello all.

I am trying to use the Virgo IDE to fast track my development by hot deploying bundles to the dev Virgo server I have configured and added to my IDE's Servers view.

However I run into the following issues:
1) if I rely on the regular Eclipse build process, any changes I make in a bundle cause immediate reloading and activating of that bundle, but the version of the bundle is invariably 0.0.0, which is incorrect and, of course, causes problems. I am wondering if this might be related to the fact that the <packaging> element in my bundle poms is "bundle" instead of "jar", because I am using the maven bundle plugin to manage manifest generation.

2) if I switch off automatic Eclipse build and I manually kick off a Maven build of any bundle I change, this causes the OSGi container to reload and restart the bundle, but my app falls over with the following exception:
2012-10-11 10:51:33.992]  TCP Connection(7)-127.0.0.1 <DE0008I> Refreshed bundle 'com.iggroup.wb.workbench.accounts.accountopening' version '1.10.0.SNAPSHOT'. 
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" org.springframework.osgi.service.ServiceUnavailableException: service with id=[261] unavailable
	at org.springframework.osgi.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceStaticInterceptor.getTarget(ServiceStaticInterceptor.java:69)
	at org.springframework.osgi.service.importer.support.internal.aop.ServiceInvoker.invoke(ServiceInvoker.java:62)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

I am currently using Virgo kernel 3.0.0.RELEASE and the latest release of the Virgo tooling.

TIA,
B.

[Updated on: Thu, 11 October 2012 10:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Virgo tooling: issues with hot deploy to server in Servers view [message #940380 is a reply to message #940100] Thu, 11 October 2012 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
#1 sounds like a tooling bug. I don't know of a fix.

#2 sounds like the bundle that provided service 261 stopped but didn't restart in time. Is there a dependency from that bundle to the bundle you are redeploying? That would explain why it got stopped.
Re: Virgo tooling: issues with hot deploy to server in Servers view [message #941040 is a reply to message #940380] Fri, 12 October 2012 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Rosi-Schwartz is currently offline Barbara Rosi-SchwartzFriend
2) Was my bug, sorry. I was not cleaning things up properly when a bundle disappears.

However, I am still having tooling issues with bundles being hot deployed occasionally drop elements from the jars when copied to the stage directory. Right now I have seen the MANIFEST.MF disappearing in stage (see also my other related thread http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/380316/ )

As a consequence my hot deploys are decidedly lukewarm... Razz
Re: Virgo tooling: issues with hot deploy to server in Servers view [message #941133 is a reply to message #941040] Fri, 12 October 2012 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glyn Normington is currently offline Glyn NormingtonFriend
If you can get a reproducible, small example of #1, please could you capture it in a bug?
Re: Virgo tooling: issues with hot deploy to server in Servers view [message #948253 is a reply to message #940100] Wed, 17 October 2012 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leo Dos Santos is currently offline Leo Dos SantosFriend
Barbara Rosi-Schwartz wrote on Thu, 11 October 2012 06:06

1) if I rely on the regular Eclipse build process, any changes I make in a bundle cause immediate reloading and activating of that bundle, but the version of the bundle is invariably 0.0.0, which is incorrect and, of course, causes problems. I am wondering if this might be related to the fact that the <packaging> element in my bundle poms is "bundle" instead of "jar", because I am using the maven bundle plugin to manage manifest generation.

Hi Barbara

There is a bug in the tools where they don't generate proper manifests from Maven properties, described in this thread http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/376751/ and at https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=391725 as well. I've committed a fix that's available as of last night's snapshot build. I don't know if this is the cause of your problem but you might want to give that build a try to see if it helps.
Re: Virgo tooling: issues with hot deploy to server in Servers view [message #968682 is a reply to message #948253] Fri, 02 November 2012 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon Godard is currently offline Simon GodardFriend
Leo Dos Santos wrote on Wed, 17 October 2012 18:30
Barbara Rosi-Schwartz wrote on Thu, 11 October 2012 06:06

Hi Barbara

There is a bug in the tools where they don't generate proper manifests from Maven properties, described in this thread http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/376751/ and at https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=391725 as well. I've committed a fix that's available as of last night's snapshot build. I don't know if this is the cause of your problem but you might want to give that build a try to see if it helps.

I am now the running the snapshot build and the Maven properties bug is indeed fixed. Any chance that the "Enable incremental Generation of MANIFEST.MF" bug gets fixed soon?
Re: Virgo tooling: issues with hot deploy to server in Servers view [message #984850 is a reply to message #968682] Thu, 15 November 2012 01:37 Go to previous message
Leo Dos Santos is currently offline Leo Dos SantosFriend
Quote:
I am now the running the snapshot build and the Maven properties bug is indeed fixed. Any chance that the "Enable incremental Generation of MANIFEST.MF" bug gets fixed soon?

Hi Simon

Can you describe what kind of behaviour you're seeing with incremental manifest generation? We had made some fixes in this area in 1.0.0 but we need to understand better the cases in which it's not working well.
Previous Topic:Virgo vs Hibernate vs Joda
Next Topic:Dependencies tab missing for mavenized par project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:39:29 GMT 2024