Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » EGit could not detect where Git is installed (EGit could not detect where Git is installed )
EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #935034] Sat, 06 October 2012 15:50 Go to next message
Pothik Babu is currently offline Pothik BabuFriend
I just installed Eclipse Juno, and when I first try to start a new Java project, it pops out two messages. Can anyone help me please? Thanks a lot. (BTB I saw same posting but could not get the solution out of it, anybody saw and can help me for the same. If somthing need to be installed how can I do ...)

The first one- EGit could not detect where Git is installed

EGit does not require Git to function, but there may be important settings in the installation directory that EGit needs to know about in order

to be compatible with Git. The most important of these settings is core.autocrlf. Git for Windows by default sets this parameter to true in the

etc director of the Git installation. The directory can be configured in Preferences under Team > Git.

The second-
Check Home Directory C:\Users\"my name"

the environment variable HOME is not set. The following directory will be used for storing the Git user configuration and as default repository location: C:\Users\"my name". If this is not correct please set the HOME environment variable and restart Eclipse
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #935150 is a reply to message #935034] Sat, 06 October 2012 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Best to ask on the eclipse.egit forum.

On 06/10/2012 5:50 PM, Pothik Babu wrote:
> I just installed Eclipse Juno, and when I first try to start a new
> Java project, it pops out two messages. Can anyone help me please?
> Thanks a lot. (BTB I saw same posting but could not get the solution
> out of it, anybody saw and can help me for the same. If somthing need
> to be installed how can I do ...)
>
>
> The first one- EGit could not detect where Git is installed
>
> EGit does not require Git to function, but there may be important
> settings in the installation directory that EGit needs to know about
> in order
> to be compatible with Git. The most important of these settings is
> core.autocrlf. Git for Windows by default sets this parameter to true
> in the
> etc director of the Git installation. The directory can be configured
> in Preferences under Team > Git.
> The second-
> Check Home Directory C:\Users\"my name"
>
> the environment variable HOME is not set. The following directory will
> be used for storing the Git user configuration and as default
> repository location: C:\Users\"my name". If this is not correct please
> set the HOME environment variable and restart Eclipse

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #959286 is a reply to message #935150] Fri, 26 October 2012 15:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Ryan is currently offline Steve RyanFriend
This thread is the first result when one searches for this problem on Google. It's a pity you couldn't have given a helpful response.

Remember, a newcomer (that's the name of the forum, remember?) isn't here because they want git. They are here because they want Eclipse! From the user point of view, if Eclipse chooses to have a dependency on git, it is not the user's problem.

No, I'm not just here to complain. I'd really like to know how to fix these messages, and whether ignoring them can cause problems.
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #959923 is a reply to message #935034] Sat, 27 October 2012 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

These are not catastrophic errors. They are messages indicating that if you have git installed, it wasn't found and egit and git may have different defaults (what to do with line delimiters, whether to check file modes, etc.) because of it. If you do have git installed, just follow the directions you were given.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Sat, 27 October 2012 03:35]

Report message to a moderator

ANSWER ANSWER ANSWER [message #968488 is a reply to message #959923] Fri, 02 November 2012 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Programmer is currently offline Christian ProgrammerFriend
Wow Lots of anger here;;; Embarrassed
Twisted Evil Laughing

For those of you who just want to get back to worring about learning eclipse and Java
the MAGIC ANSWER IS

YOU MAY IGNORE THESE PROMPTS AND CONTINUE JUST FINE TRYING TO HACK THROUGH YOUR STUDIES IN ECLIPSE Good luck .

These 'warnings' are simply telling you that this IDE wants to have some other crap installed that you really don't need to worry about.

Git is an automation to GET ( Obtain ) new
addOns libraries blah blah blah plug ins whaterver....

What have you --- I don't Get--- Git just yet, I have enough problems just
trying to GET eclipse to not crash with memory overflow errors. I can "install new software" from the Help Menu so Git must be some additional perhaps paid add ons or something if I recall correctly. Some way you can publish and maybe charge for you innovations in the field .. Whatever it really is you don't need to worry about it to get started. Don't flame Me ....The truth is this IS the first response page when for searching for this and it needed to include an informative answer .
Re: ANSWER ANSWER ANSWER [message #968570 is a reply to message #968488] Fri, 02 November 2012 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 11/2/2012 7:55 AM, Christian Programmer wrote:
> Wow Lots of anger here;;; :blush: :twisted: :lol:
> For those of you who just want to get back to worring about learning
> eclipse and Java the MAGIC ANSWER IS
>
> YOU MAY IGNORE THESE PROMPTS AND CONTINUE JUST FINE TRYING TO HACK
> THROUGH YOUR STUDIES IN ECLIPSE Good luck .
>
> These 'warnings' are simply telling you that this IDE wants to have
> some other crap installed that you really don't need to worry about.
> Git is an automation to GET ( Obtain ) new addOns libraries blah blah
> blah plug ins whaterver....
>
> What have you --- I don't Get--- Git just yet, I have enough problems
> just trying to GET eclipse to not crash with memory overflow errors. I
> can "install new software" from the Help Menu so Git must be some
> additional perhaps paid add ons or something if I recall correctly. Some
> way you can publish and maybe charge for you innovations in the field ..
> Whatever it really is you don't need to worry about it to get started.
> Don't flame Me ....The truth is this IS the first response page when for
> searching for this and it needed to include an informative answer .

I think this is new with Juno. Just back up to Indigo if you like.
icon4.gif  Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #1017292 is a reply to message #935034] Mon, 11 March 2013 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Random PasserbyFriend
How to get rid of the messages
If like myself you are not using Git, but got stuck with it because it is a requirement by Eclipse then you can turn off these messages.
Go to Window->Preferences, now navigate to Team\Git\Confirmations and Warnings. In here you have the options "Log warnings". Turn both options off and that will stop EGit from complaining all the time.

Note that the error log is persistent so you will have to click the red X in order to clear it.

Now you will not see the warnings on start of your Eclipse. Although I would prefer to uninstall it altogether.
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #1048478 is a reply to message #935034] Wed, 24 April 2013 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Berg is currently offline Thomas BergFriend
(For those who also have Git (command-line) installed)

Had the same issue (Windows 7, Eclipse Juno, Egit).

Environment variable HOME is not set:
I used the commandline tool in windows (Run, "cmd", Enter):
setx HOME %USERPROFILE%

Restart Eclipse after you've set the HOME environment variable.

EGit could not detect where Git is installed:
I also have the command-line version of Git installed. Just find out where Git is installed (mine is installed under c:/Program (x86)/Git). Go to
Window->Preferences->Team->Git->Configuration->System Settings->Location
and browse for the Git installation directory.

Under
Window->Preferences->Team->Git->Configuration->User Settings
you can also add the following keys: "user.name" and "user.email".
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #1602835 is a reply to message #1048478] Thu, 05 February 2015 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Furkan Eke is currently offline Furkan EkeFriend
Messages can not be turned off using the proposed settings.
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #1766117 is a reply to message #1048478] Fri, 16 June 2017 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haiwei Wang is currently offline Haiwei WangFriend
Great! It works now. Thanks for your solution.
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #1786969 is a reply to message #935150] Wed, 16 May 2018 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Herrick is currently offline Charles HerrickFriend
Or scroll down and follow Thomas Berg's suggestions, which ("gasp!") actually help.

--
Charles Herrick
[e:] charles.n.herrick@gmail.com
[m:] (512) 289-0926
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #1786970 is a reply to message #1602835] Wed, 16 May 2018 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Works for me.
See Thomas Berg's suggestions. Set the HOME user environment variable in the Windows > System > user environment variables in Control Panel.

--
Charles Herrick
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #1790376 is a reply to message #1048478] Fri, 08 June 2018 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Re: Thomas Berg's excellent suggestions, is there a way to set the Git location other than in Preferences? In some "global" location that eGit would read so you don't have to (re)set this preference every time you open a new workspace.

--
Charles Herrick
Re: EGit could not detect where Git is installed [message #1790392 is a reply to message #1790376] Sat, 09 June 2018 07:42 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
If it's set as a preference, Oomph's preference recorder (which comes already installed in every package) could be used to set it for every new workspace.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Eclipse no longer launches.
Next Topic:Won't download
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 06:07:06 GMT 2024