Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Errors on startup, just installed
Errors on startup, just installed [message #929797] Mon, 01 October 2012 19:38 Go to next message
Devin Platt is currently offline Devin PlattFriend
I just installed Eclipse to use with a book about learning Java that I am reading. When I started the program two errors popped up. I tried reading the article about startup errors, but it was confusing. Also programs will not build.

The first error- EGit could not detect where Git is installed

EGit does not require Git to function, but there may be important settings in the installation directory that EGit needs to know about in order

to be compatible with Git. The most important of these settings is core.autocrlf. Git for Windows by default sets this parameter to true in the

etc director of the Git installation. The directory can be configured in Preferences under Team > Git.

The second-
Check Home Directory C:\Users\"my name"

the environment variable HOME is not set. The following directory will be used for storing the Git user configuration and as default repository location: C:\Users\"my name". If this is not correct please set the HOME environment variable and restart Eclipse.

[Updated on: Mon, 01 October 2012 19:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Errors on startup, just installed [message #931286 is a reply to message #929797] Wed, 03 October 2012 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
F H is currently offline F HFriend
Same here under Win7 64x.

Second message can be fixed by setting environment variable HOME to %USERPROFILE%.
First message surprises me. I have installed TortoiseGit and msysgit for Windows, but Error still remains.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Set manual path to msysgit under Team -> Git works. TortoiseGit uninstalled because not needed.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 October 2012 05:17]

Re: Errors on startup, just installed [message #931679 is a reply to message #929797] Wed, 03 October 2012 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eliseo Ocampos is currently offline Eliseo OcamposFriend
Hey Devin, do you have git installed on Windows? Take in account that git and EGit are different things, the former is the source code revision control tool, the later is the plugin that integrates that tool in Eclipse.

Also, you may get a proper response asking on the EGit forum here: http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/f/48/

[Updated on: Wed, 03 October 2012 12:21]

Re: Errors on startup, just installed [message #931917 is a reply to message #931286] Wed, 03 October 2012 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Devin Platt is currently offline Devin PlattFriend
I installed msysGit, but I can't figure out how to specify the directory to Eclipse. What folder or path should I be linking it to?

Also, how do I set the Home variable?
How to set the HOME variable [message #989505 is a reply to message #931917] Thu, 06 December 2012 14:32 Go to previous message
katie evans is currently offline katie evansFriend
Add the environment variable HOME to your environment variables:

1. In Windows 7, type "environment" at the start menu
  2. Select "Edit environment variables for your account"
  3. Click the "New" button.
  4. Enter "HOME" in the name field
  5. Enter "%USERPROFILE%" or some other path in the value field.
  6. Click OK, and OK again. You have just added the Home directory on Windows.

I found out these instructions at the EGit user guide.

Personally, I recommend to enter the complete path C:\Users\"my name" instead of %USERPROFILE%.
Previous Topic:How can I create POM file?
Next Topic:program can't find jars inside itself
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:52:22 GMT 2024