Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Use EGit For PHP Deployment (like FTP client)
Use EGit For PHP Deployment (like FTP client) [message #924219] Wed, 26 September 2012 16:18 Go to next message
Stanko Jelisic is currently offline Stanko JelisicFriend
Hi everybody,

I'm using Eclipse PDT, and I'm the only developer on the project in question. I've set up two identical copies of my web application on my local machine and on the live server. What I would like to do is:

1. Make changes to my local files
2. When I finish changing, I commit them to my local repository
3. Those committed changes then get copied to my live server

I don't want a repository on live server, I just want to copy changed files, overriding the existing ones (if any). As you can assume, now I'm copying all changed files via FTP to live server. This is very tedious and error-prone. So I was hoping EGit could help me with this.

Is this possible with EGit? Or with Git at all? If not, do you know any better solution?

I'm new to Git, and since I'm using Eclipse, I thought that EGit would be a good solution. Committing goes just fine, but no luck with deployment.

Thanks in advance,
Stanko
Re: Use EGit For PHP Deployment (like FTP client) [message #925250 is a reply to message #924219] Thu, 27 September 2012 14:32 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Git is about distributed versioning so the assumption is that each participating host
has it's own local repository clone. It sounds like you should try something like
rsync [1] instead.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync
Previous Topic:Location of working source?
Next Topic:jGit FetchCommand
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 02:31:18 GMT 2024