Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Could not open the editor: No editor descriptor for id org.eclipse.cdt.ui.editor.CEditor(When I move my HD /home from one PC to another with same install, Eclipse is lost)
icon5.gif  Could not open the editor: No editor descriptor for id org.eclipse.cdt.ui.editor.CEditor [message #897124] Sun, 22 July 2012 07:02 Go to next message
Laurent Alebarde is currently offline Laurent AlebardeFriend
Hi all,

I have the same two PC with the same Linux distribution and setup. Eclipse Indigo has been installed on both with CDT and Valgrind. What happened exactly is that my main PC had a harware failure (graphic card). Then during the repair, I moved my hard disk that contain my /home to my second PC and set it up as my primary PC. It was a big mess with eclipse and had to delete my ~/.eclipse and restart the install. Then it was ok.

Now, my primary PC is back. So I moved back my HD (/home) and then when I start Eclipse, I have the error message :

Could not open the editor: No editor descriptor for id org.eclipse.cdt.ui.editor.CEditor

I have investigated and discovered that Eclipse has a powerfull versionning tool that may be lost with HD move for reasons I don't understand.

What do you think of it ? What can I do to avoid reinstalling Eclipse all the time ? What about working with Eclipse and a /home on an external drive in a nomad way ?

EDIT 2012-07-23 : I am rebuilding my projects (build & launch configurations). I have lost time, but I discover now there is more : all the tasks I defined seem to be lost. That is very hard ! If someone has an idea to recover them, it would be very worth for me. Thanks.

EDIT 2012-07-24 : I have backups of my workspace and I am ready to hexedit any file if someone can give me the information where tasks are stored. It may be a binary file since a recursive grep don't find anything.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 July 2012 04:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Could not open the editor: No editor descriptor for id org.eclipse.cdt.ui.editor.CEditor [message #898048 is a reply to message #897124] Wed, 25 July 2012 16:45 Go to previous message
Laurent Alebarde is currently offline Laurent AlebardeFriend
OK, I performed a last attempt to try to recover my tasks, and finally, I recovered everything (tasks, settings, launchers, etc). What I did is to go back my secondary PC, but without the HD /home of the primary one. I had a backup of the WorkSpace. The point is that I had not this time my home directory simlinked.

THis is the reason why, I have concluded, Eclipse was lost and the WorkSpace corrupted.

Actually, when I analysed the metadata, the absolute path was appearing instead of the simlink path. Say I had a directory /disk to mount my primary PC /home HD, I created a simlink /home/lalebarde pointing to /disk/lalebarde, and instead of having /home/lalebarde/WorkSpace/myProject in the metadata, I had /disk/lalebarde/WorkSpace/myProject.

Still, I am not sure my conclusions are correct.
Previous Topic:[SOLVED] Debugger very slow (~ 10 sec between two steps) !
Next Topic:Installing CUTE plugin offline
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:28:46 GMT 2024