Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Eclipse crashes by typing $ in PHP file
Eclipse crashes by typing $ in PHP file [message #896778] Thu, 19 July 2012 17:11 Go to next message
rob van nues is currently offline rob van nuesFriend
Hi,

I was updating some php files in an older eclipse installation and the application crashed. I am on linux (slackware64-current) running the openjdk and thought maybe I had to upgrade eclipse.

I went and installed Juno, got some PDT on it and it crashed again; always after typing $ (and nothing else, like ?!"£%^&(){}[] ) and just after a completion hint pops up.

I have installed eclipse with PHP twice now, also as proposed on http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/pdt-dev/msg02126.html

The crash always occurs after the PDT install (from inside eclipse), not before i.e. the $ in a text file is accepted.

No problems when doing the same on Netbeans (although the fonts look ugly I have to use that now) or typing $ into another JAVA application (like Violet or CLC sequence viewer).

Thus definitely PHP/PDT linked.

Am I the only one experiencing this???

Thanks for anyone with a good tip,

rob

Some collected log-files attached.....
Re: Eclipse crashes by typing $ in PHP file [message #896825 is a reply to message #896778] Thu, 19 July 2012 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toshihiro Izumi is currently offline Toshihiro IzumiFriend
Bug 383896 Crash when opening auto completion widget at org.eclipse.swt.internal.mozilla.XPCOM._NS_InitXPCOM2(JJJ)I+0
Re: Eclipse crashes by typing $ in PHP file [message #896901 is a reply to message #896825] Fri, 20 July 2012 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Toshihiro, thanks for your quick and relevant reply; yes the bug you refer to has generated the same stack. According to the comments for that bug it relates to firefox 13 (xulrunner or libwebgtk) being the culprit; eclipse seems to depend on an older version of firefox. The problem is that I do not like to downgrade my system to get eclipse working (I am not using it that often). Further, compiling for instance webkitgtk did not work as it depends on an older versions of perl than the one on my system.

Although the bug you refer to has been closed as being 'outside Eclipse' I wonder whether that is completely fair. Is it not easier or more user-friendly to update to a modern, safer firefox than to rely on old installs for proper functioning of the newest eclipse?? One would expect that bleeding edge would meet bleeding edge. And firefox 13 is not that new anymore.

When I tried to change the web browser in eclipse/window/preferences/general/web browser just clicking that button was enough to crash the application; the workspace/.metadata/.log is attached (for what is worth..)

Thanks again for the reply.

rob

• Attachment: .log
    (Size: 149.29KB, Downloaded 253 times)

[Updated on: Sat, 21 July 2012 22:00]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse crashes by typing $ in PHP file [message #897046 is a reply to message #896901] Sat, 21 July 2012 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toshihiro Izumi is currently offline Toshihiro IzumiFriend
I agree with you but it is an issue of SWT and there is a SWT forum, Eclipse Community Forums: Standard Widget Toolkit (SWT) for deep discussion Wink There are SWT developers in that forum and they works great.

I'm not sure how they are thinking about this dependency problem, but it should have smart solution, and it must not cause *crash* at least, it's too bad.
(as for me, I have no idea since I don't have this problem with Windows...)
(fyi, The SWT FAQ)
Re: Eclipse crashes by typing $ in PHP file [message #897107 is a reply to message #897046] Sat, 21 July 2012 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks,

I am afraid I'll have to leave eclipse for now. I installed a webkit, version 1.4.1, the oldest I could find for my system, but that's too new as well; 1.2 apparently is needed for Juno. Goes without saying that I managed to reproduce the dollar-crash without a hitch. Or bust the program even quicker by trying to set the web-browser in the general preferences. It's a shame, I liked working with eclipse; had made and maintained some nice php-based web sites with it; it rendered fonts OK and Juno looks good, but to get it to work now seems too cumbersome.

[Updated on: Sat, 21 July 2012 21:58]

Re: Eclipse crashes by typing $ in PHP file [message #897110 is a reply to message #897046] Sat, 21 July 2012 22:25 Go to previous message
I had one last try.

Adding -Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.XULRunnerPath==/usr/lib64/xulrunner-2.0/ and
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.UseWebKitGTK=true to the eclipse.ini (as suggested on https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=333444 comments 28 and 29 etc.) prevented the crash by choosing web browser in the general preferences, also after installing the pdt from http://download.eclipse.org/tools/pdt/updates/3.1.1/nightly. Still, typing an $ in a php-file crashed the whole lot as usual.

[Updated on: Sat, 21 July 2012 22:26]

Previous Topic:Debug inside eval function
Next Topic:Debugging Howto
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 02:04:33 GMT 2024