Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Problems upon using new workspace
icon4.gif  Problems upon using new workspace [message #892181] Wed, 27 June 2012 10:19 Go to next message
Valentin Ivanov is currently offline Valentin IvanovFriend
Hi,

I use Eclipse "Version: Indigo Service Release 1 Build id: 20110916-0149" for a long time. And i had only one workspace. Now I decided to create another workspace and did it.

The problem is that when switch to the newly created workspace i get 2 errors shown at the attached file.
More often the one for LibraryDetector.

I figured out that I can not add new JRE Definition. I mean i do it but when I press OK, it is like i have not made any change.

The files in worspace\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.jdt.launching ".install.xml" always is empty.

What could be the problem?
Re: Problems upon using new workspace [message #893299 is a reply to message #892181] Tue, 03 July 2012 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Valentin,

from your post it's difficult to make any guess what went wrong.
The error dialog looks like a consequence of s.t. deeper.
AFAICS .install.xml should never be empty. Is it really zero bytes?
Which Java version do you use for running Eclipse?
Which operating system?
Could lack of write permissions be the cause?
When configuring the build path of any project in the workspace, is there any JRE for you to select?

Stephan
Re: Problems upon using new workspace [message #894105 is a reply to message #893299] Fri, 06 July 2012 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

no, the file .install.xml is not zero bytes, it has the content
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<dirs/>

Actually when I add JRE the file changes and when i close the Eclipse, the file gets <dirs/>.

Eclipse run on Java 6 update 33, Windows 7 64 bit. I do not think it is of access permissions because i do it with Eclipse Juno.

The strange thing is that the JRE is like the picture i have attached. I can add new .jar libraries but when Eclipse is restarted the JRE is again as the picture shows.

Seems like the settings are resetting every time.
I can provide pictures if needed.
Thank you
  • Attachment: JRE.png
    (Size: 207.40KB, Downloaded 287 times)
Re: Problems upon using new workspace [message #894173 is a reply to message #893299] Sat, 07 July 2012 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi
I made video demonstrating the problem. You can download it from the address i have provided in the file I have attached.
If the quality is not good enough please let me know and I will make it better.

If the file is not available let me know it as well.

Thank you.
Re: Problems upon using new workspace [message #894181 is a reply to message #894173] Sat, 07 July 2012 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, this doesn't seem to be specific to importing projects across workspaces, but Eclipse seems to be generally unable to correctly identify your JRE.

Maybe s.o. better familar with JDT/Debug can comment on the error
Could not find the main class:
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.support.LegacySystemProperties.
Program will exit.

You'll probably also have entries in the Errors view resp. .metadata/.log.
Digging these out should help identifying the problem.

Stephan
Re: Problems upon using new workspace [message #894213 is a reply to message #894181] Sat, 07 July 2012 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

thank you Stephan for your support.
I am attaching the log from the old and new workspace.

Best Regards
Re: Problems upon using new workspace [message #894333 is a reply to message #894213] Sun, 08 July 2012 10:40 Go to previous message
OK, the relevant error entries are:
!ENTRY org.eclipse.jdt.launching 4 4 2012-07-07 13:03:26.726
!MESSAGE Failed to retrieve default libraries for C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jdt.launching 4 4 2012-07-07 13:04:40.792
!MESSAGE Unable to retrieve system properties
!STACK 1
org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Unable to retrieve system properties
	at org.eclipse.jdt.launching.AbstractVMInstall.abort(AbstractVMInstall.java:495)
	at org.eclipse.jdt.launching.AbstractVMInstall.evaluateSystemProperties(AbstractVMInstall.java:445)
	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.environments.ExecutionEnvironmentAnalyzer.isFoundation1_0(ExecutionEnvironmentAnalyzer.java:142)
	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.environments.ExecutionEnvironmentAnalyzer.analyze(ExecutionEnvironmentAnalyzer.java:90)
	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.environments.Analyzer.analyze(Analyzer.java:40)
	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.environments.EnvironmentsManager.analyze(EnvironmentsManager.java:338)
	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.environments.EnvironmentsManager.initializeCompatibilities(EnvironmentsManager.java:245)
	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.environments.ExecutionEnvironment.init(ExecutionEnvironment.java:178)
	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.environments.ExecutionEnvironment.getDefaultVM(ExecutionEnvironment.java:215)
	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.JREContainerInitializer.resolveVM(JREContainerInitializer.java:171)
	at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.JREContainerInitializer.resolveVM(JREContainerInitializer.java:138)
	at org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JavaRuntime.getVMInstall(JavaRuntime.java:1925)

These are closely related to the error depicted in your initial post. I'm not sure which one is cause and which one a consequence.

There are two open bugs with similar symptom but perhaps different cause [1][2].
Please check and either add your details to one of those bugs or file a new one against JDT/Debug.

[1] https://bugs.eclipse.org/189486
[2] https://bugs.eclipse.org/382580
Previous Topic:The Eclipse executable launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library
Next Topic:Package Based Annotation Compilation Error in JDT 3.8/4.2 (works in 3.7.2)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:42:30 GMT 2024