Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » Forcing the URL of standalone infocenter to show full path to topic
Forcing the URL of standalone infocenter to show full path to topic [message #885659] Wed, 13 June 2012 12:07 Go to next message
James Hurrell is currently offline James HurrellFriend
I have successfully deployed a standalone Infocenter in a WAR file on Tomcat - this will be used to serve documentation for internal and external users. So far everything has gone exactly as I hoped, but is not yet fully live.

However, there is one slight niggle. At the moment (and this is the same on the Eclipse doc site) the real URL to the actual topic page is always masked like this in the address bar:

help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp

Is there anyway to force it to show the full topic path like this:

help.eclipse.org/indigo/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/guide/ua.htm
or even:
help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Fguide%2Fua.htm

The reason being is that we would prefer users to be able to just copy the URL to a specific topic if they need to, rather than have to resort to browser options like open in new tab or copy URL location.

I cannot find anything about this in any options or config file, so I suspect it is something that is hard coded into the JSP backend (probably in org.eclipse.help.base_3.5.2.v201009090800.jar)..

If any one has any bright ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.
Re: Forcing the URL of standalone infocenter to show full path to topic [message #885818 is a reply to message #885659] Wed, 13 June 2012 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leona Campbell is currently offline Leona CampbellFriend
Hi James. I don't know the answer to your question. I end up using the clunky Copy URL Location in the browser and then pasting that or using it as a link. I think it's because Eclipse is set up in frames. This is a huge drawback because I can't even add any features like providing feedback per topic and my analytics is hard to parse. I look forward to seeing an answer to this! Thanks for asking!
Leona
Re: Forcing the URL of standalone infocenter to show full path to topic [message #886137 is a reply to message #885818] Thu, 14 June 2012 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Leona, thanks for replying. Yes it's a minor niggle, but would be a useful feature to be able to configure. I have investigated the index.jsp files in the org.eclipse.help.base jar, but I'm not sufficiently proficient in server side scripting to be able to even begin to understand what's happening...!

James
Re: Forcing the URL of standalone infocenter to show full path to topic [message #886763 is a reply to message #886137] Fri, 15 June 2012 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leona: Yes, you're right, it is a frameset, so that's the reason Sad No hope of working round that unless we re-hack the whole thing. It's in org.eclipse.help.webapp\advanced\index.jsp:

<frameset id="indexFrameset" onload="onloadHandler()" rows="<%="0".equals(data.getBannerHeight())?"":data.getBannerHeight()+","%>24,*<%=data.getFooterRowText()%>"  frameborder="0" framespacing="0" border=0 spacing=0>
<%
	if(!("0".equals(data.getBannerHeight()))){
%>
	<frame name="BannerFrame" title="<%=ServletResources.getString("Banner", request)%>" src='<%=data.getBannerURL()%>'  tabIndex="3" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" noresize=0>
<%
	}
%>
	<frame name="HelpToolbarFrame" title="<%=ServletResources.getString("ignore", "HelpToolbarFrame", request)%>" src='<%="advanced/helpToolbar.jsp"+UrlUtil.htmlEncode(data.getQuery())%>' marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" noresize=0>
	<frame name="HelpFrame" title="<%=ServletResources.getString("ignore", "HelpFrame", request)%>" src='<%="advanced/help.jsp"+UrlUtil.htmlEncode(data.getQuery())%>' marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" >
<%
	if(!("0".equals(data.getFooterHeight()))){
%>
	<frame name="FooterFrame" title="<%=ServletResources.getString("Footer", request)%>" src='<%=data.getFooterURL()%>'  marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" noresize=0>
<%
	}
%>
</frameset>
Re: Forcing the URL of standalone infocenter to show full path to topic [message #987125 is a reply to message #886763] Fri, 23 November 2012 16:09 Go to previous message
Tim Raff is currently offline Tim RaffFriend
Since infocenter uses an old fashioned frameset, there is no easy way to reflect the topic url in the address bar, but what you can do is add the topic URL as a link in the topic frame itself using a bit of javascript like this:
<script type="text/javascript" xml:space="preserve">
        if (document.URL.indexOf('?') == -1) {
            topic_url = document.location.toString();
        } else {
            topic_url = document.URL.substring(0, document.URL.indexOf('?'));
        }        
        document.write('<a href="' + topic_url + '" shape="rect">' + topic_url + '</a>');
</script>

This makes it much easier for the reader to see and copy the real topic URL.
Previous Topic:Need to update very old Eclipse Help system
Next Topic:Robohelp high availability
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:34:02 GMT 2024