Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Hello,
Hello, [message #883202] Fri, 08 June 2012 03:09 Go to next message
Nathanael H is currently offline Nathanael HFriend
First of all, I want to apologize to eclipse developers. I have tremendous respect to any open source developer. BUT..

I came here because i wanted to pour my hart out. I hate eclipse with a passion, and i want to complains somewhere otherwise i lose my mind.

It's 5:20 am, and i've been stuck with file reading for hours. I barely solved it now.
Before you accuse me of stupidity etc etc, I want to tell you that i'm and competition-winning developer with experience in a lot of computer science fields, i'm familiar with assembly,c, c++,c#,Python, php, javascript, html , css, mySql etc etc

Here's the things i want to complain about:

1) The configuration of eclipse is basically and trial and error thing. I'm using mingw c++ libraries and it's always a pain in the a.s.s when i'm starting a new project, because there's so many things to configure before going on, that i lose track. I tried configuring Qt libraries, and it was just impossible.

2) The interface is often counter intuitive. I don't want to stress this much because this can easily be overcomed with a little bit of practice.

3) You must always clean up after yourself before you run, and this is very annoying. No other editor i worked required me to do that, and too often i must open task manager and delete manually the 3,4,5 processes running, otherwise i can't build again. This extends the work a lot, and it's very annoying.

4) The console. I hate that console with a passion. It's very buggy, often having residues from previous builds, it missreports errors, it fails to report other errors. There's a very annoying bug happening pretty often. I get an error. The console shows it, and then, that report disappears, leaving the program running only to show. This wouldn't be a problem if the "problems" tab of the console worked, but in that tab i get the information that i have an error, like (runtime error) while the console showed a more detailed report of the error, but only for a half a second. I had to stop my program mid-build, only to be able to read THAT report.

5). I can't detect multiple runs only if i check my task manager. Again, i blame the annoying console. You shouldn't be able to have multiple runs for the same program, it's messing with the files and can sometimes lead to difficult logical errors.

6) . The debugging system is counter-intuitive. I couldn't use it. I never saw the step forward / step over buttons .

7) . It jams like an 100 year old russian locomotive. I had to force restart many times my computer, because i had while(filein>>x){} , and the editor never told me that this is not allowed, it just jammed all my computer, i couldn;t even open the taskbar. I don't want to complain that it's sluggish , because an massive editor like eclipse it's supposed to be sluggish, but i will surely love it not to crash for no reason like that.

Cool Error reporting is quite minimal, if you don't have much experience in eclipse, you can't really know what's happening.

9) . The header preview of the functions doesn't give the description. Me, and i'm pretty sure that thousands of others use explorations in coding, like choosing the object, and hit ctrl+space to see my options. Well it's not much use if the function doesn't give a description, again leading to a lot of trial and error, which is annoying.

10) . Editor missreporting errors. I often must rebuild an incomplete code, because i can't stand my code to be permanently underlined with curly red line when i know it is correct, another big waste of time.

I don't want to compare Eclipse with Visual studio. I just want to make a single point. I was 15, i didn't knew much english, i started Visual studio, wrote some code my teacher gave me, and it worked. I canged it, crash it, i remove my changes , it worked again. Now i'm 19, And the compiler behaves totally different in apparently similar conditions. My eclipse + 5 years of programming experience crashes way more often than VS when i hade 8 months of programming experience.

I do want to compare Eclipse with other editors like Dev c++, or MinGW, which behaved 100 times more impecable at coding in c++ than eclipse. I also want to compare Eclipse with Aptana, which is funny because Aptana is Eclipse-based, but it works impecable!. I love aptana, it's nice and BEHAVES AS EXPECTED.
THAT'S THE MAIN PROBLEM WITH ECLIPSE, VERY OFTEN IT DOESN'T BEHAVE AS EXPECTED!!!!! . You should either make sure the user changes its expectations to be compatible to the behavior of the editor, or you change the behavior of the editor, otherwise it's still on my blacklist.

Again, Much respect for any open source developers, but this just isn't a quality product. It's a lousy program which i feel it's made only to flaunt it on other people's noses and brag about it, because it looks good.
You might consider me stupid because i can't "get" the program, but damn, i've given it many chances, and it failed my expectations every time. You should focus more on making the program more compact, and more self reliant rather than adding thousands of features.

And because I don't want to end the message in hatred, i want to add that i love the autocomplete system, and the fact that it adds end bracket or end quote when opening one. As and source document editor, I'm most productive in Eclipse.

Regards, Nathanael H.
Re: Hello, [message #883512 is a reply to message #883202] Fri, 08 June 2012 17:37 Go to previous message
Denis Roy is currently offline Denis RoyFriend

Your rant is very well formulated -- thank you.

I see this is your first post on our forum, and that you're using the C/C++ IDE (CDT). Have you tried asking some brief yet clear questions on the CDT forum to see if that can help make your life easier?

http://eclipse.org/forums/eclipse.tools.cdt

Denis Roy
Eclipse Webmaster -- webmaster@eclipse.org
Previous Topic:Cannot connect to the internet in Eclipse..using a proxy
Next Topic:error when launching eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:56:24 GMT 2024