Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » WindowBuilder Release for Juno
WindowBuilder Release for Juno [message #882562] Wed, 06 June 2012 18:28 Go to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
The latest WindowBuilder build is targetted at the Eclipse Juno release at the end of the month. Feedback and detailed bug reports are appreciated (check Bugzilla for already reported bugs first).

The WindowBuilder Release Review docs are also available for review.
Re: WindowBuilder Release for Juno [message #941726 is a reply to message #882562] Fri, 12 October 2012 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Prentice is currently offline Michael PrenticeFriend
That's very helpful.

Do you know where I can find the following presentations?

Presentations:
Building GUIs with WindowBuilder at EclipseCon 2012 - Found (but can't post links)
Building GUIs with WindowBuilder at Eclipse Day at the Googleplex
WindowBuilder 101 at EclipseCon 2011
WindowBuilder at Eclipse DemoCamps in Atlanta & Boston
GWT+UI Designer at Google I/O 2011 - Found (Best demo/training presentation yet for WindowBuilder!)

Regarding:
Release 2.0.0 Kepler, June 2013
Support for Eclipse 4.3

Is there any new feature work going on?

How, if at all, will WindowBuilder compete with the new SceneBuilder designer for JavaFX by Oracle?

I realize that WindowBuilder already has the ability to do data binding and some extensions to generate XML. But will this be leveraged to create a pure JavaFX designer or a hybrid designer that supports Swing in a JavaFX app and/or JavaFX in a Swing app?

We are currently looking at moving our application in this direction. We are completely Swing based atm. We're on Java 6, Eclipse 3.7, WindowBuilder 1.5.0.r37x201206111201. We've had some luck with WindowBuilder in the last year or so and are growing our skills with it. But we're very interested in what is in store for the future of the Swing Designer.

Thank you!

Michael Prentice
GDG Space Coast

[Updated on: Tue, 16 October 2012 20:51]

Report message to a moderator

Re: WindowBuilder Release for Juno [message #947119 is a reply to message #941726] Tue, 16 October 2012 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The GWT+UI Designer at Google I/O 2011 presentation was really impressive! I would love to see something like it focused on the Swing Designer specifically. I'm sure that there are a lot of people who would love to see it too.

Michael Prentice
GDG Space Coast
Re: WindowBuilder Release for Juno [message #947361 is a reply to message #941726] Wed, 17 October 2012 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
I have attached the "Building GUIs with WindowBuilder at EclipseCon 2012" and "WindowBuilder 101" presentations. The others you referenced are quite similar.

As far as next year's release is concerned, we don't have any major new feature development planned since the the current tool is considered to be fairly feature complete at this point with respect to both SWT and Swing. We do plan to address reported bugs and help folks who want to use WindowBuilder as the basis for new UI tools. For example, while we have no plans to do a JavaFX Designer, we would be very happy to advise folks interested in doing so.

I don't know how WindowBuilder competes with the SceneBuilder designer since I have never looked at it. None of the current WB committers use JavaFX, so we have little interest in it (beyond helping anyone interested in extending WB to support it).
Re: WindowBuilder Release for Juno [message #947850 is a reply to message #947361] Wed, 17 October 2012 13:59 Go to previous message
Awesome. Thank you for the slides Eric!

Also thank you for the answers. That will be very helpful to us in determining our future strategy.

Michael Prentice
GDG Space Coast
Previous Topic:Window Builder , Form Designer
Next Topic:"SWT/Jface Java Project" upgrade to new eclipse version
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 13:36:08 GMT 2024