Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Keyboard: goto next build error (w/screenshot)
Keyboard: goto next build error (w/screenshot) [message #881637] Tue, 05 June 2012 00:57 Go to next message
Chris Stankevitz is currently offline Chris StankevitzFriend
Hello,

Sometimes when I compile there are GCC errors. The build console conveniently displays the errors in red. Also convenient: I can double-click a red error and eclipse will open the source file at the line containing the problem!

I have a complex project with many targets and many cpp files. Unfortunately, the build console red-highlighted error messages quickly scroll off the console making them difficult to double-click.

The attached file will highlight my predicament. See the red errors on the left... please note the console window scroll bar to get a feel of the "sifting" I have to perform to locate the error. This build was created by cmake.

Q1: Is there a keystroke that will simulate "scroll to the top of the build console, start looking for the first 'red' error message and double-click it." Users of MSVC might recognize this convenient feature can be activated by pressing F4.

Note that CTRL-. is not what I am looking for because
a) CTRL-. finds "eclipse errors" not "GCC errors". Often Eclipse reports errors where GCC finds none (e.g. complex boost template code)
b) CTRL-. finds only errors in the currently opened editor. Often I have no editor opened (as in the screenshot)

Q2: If there is no such keystroke, can someone suggest how I can build such a feature (using macros or plugins, etc)

Q3: I am also interested in other tips/tricks that you might use to avoid getting into the problem I find myself: introducing an error that is difficult to open in an editor window. For example, if you compile/make/build in eclipse using a different method than "build all" -- presumably the kind of tip I'm fishing for here is completely foreign to me so feel free to think respond with "outside the box" answers for me.

Thank you very much!

Chris

[Updated on: Tue, 05 June 2012 01:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Keyboard: goto next build error (w/screenshot) [message #881770 is a reply to message #881637] Tue, 05 June 2012 08:19 Go to previous message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
You can click the arrow down icon in the build console. It will jump to the first error when build is finished. AFAIK, there is no key binding for this.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Previous Topic:Cannot seem to be able to compile with -O2
Next Topic:CDT Build is built twice
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:09:54 GMT 2024