Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Can't get my webapps to launch from Eclipse
Can't get my webapps to launch from Eclipse [message #881602] Mon, 04 June 2012 22:25 Go to next message
Rob Tanner is currently offline Rob TannerFriend
Hi,

It's been a while since I working on any standard web applications (I've been working on mainly standalone apps and GWT webapps) and I don't know if there's some configuration that got changed or whether I've simply forgotten how, but while the Tomcat startup with Eclipse (I'm running Indigo for Web Developers) seems to recognize the webapp on startup, the folder for my most recent app never appears in webapps under Tomcat. Instead I get the error: WARNING: [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host/Context} Setting property 'source' to 'org.eclipse.jst.jee.server:PasswordQuestionsReview' did not find a matching property.

The server configuration for Tomcat 6 does point to the Tomcat home, so I'm not sure what's going on. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rob Tanner
Linfield College
Re: Can't get my webapps to deploy from Eclipse [message #882218 is a reply to message #881602] Wed, 06 June 2012 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I should have said deploy not launch in the subject of my original post. But I have some more information. First of all, after doing a bunch of googling, I've concluded that there's nothing I'm doing wrong and the app should deploy to my test server. It simply is not working though it used to. Also my laptop also isn't working, but it used to. And to top it all off, it thinks it's working. With Tomcat running, when I modify a piece of code within Eclipse and save it, I see this message in the Eclipse console view:

Jun 5, 2012 5:47:58 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext reload
INFO: Reloading Context with name [/AccountManager] has started

Yet, when I look in the webapps folder in the running Tomcat server, there is no evidence that the webapp was ever deployed.

The next thing I checked was the logfile (.metadata/.log in the root of the workspace looking for a possible stacktrace. I found no errors reported of stacktraces.

So that leads me to conclude that some plugin installed recently effectively breaks Eclipse's ability to deploy a webapp to the server. I'm running Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers, version: Indigo Service Release 2. I have SpringSource, Maven (m2e), AspectJ, VMWare and a host of others that are added beyond the actual distro version of Eclipse.

Does anyone know of any plugins that could cause the symptoms I'm seeing? Or, barring that, is there a simple way that I can figure the order in which I installed the various plugins so that I can back them out one at a time starting with the most recent?

Thanks,

Rob Tanner
Linfield College
Re: Can't get my webapps to launch from Eclipse [message #882223 is a reply to message #881602] Wed, 06 June 2012 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I should have said deploy not launch in the subject of my original post. But I have some more information. First of all, after doing a bunch of googling, I've concluded that there's nothing I'm doing wrong and the app should deploy to my test server. It simply is not working though it used to. Also my laptop also isn't working, but it used to. And to top it all off, it thinks it's working. With Tomcat running, when I modify a piece of code within Eclipse and save it, I see this message in the Eclipse console view:

Yet, when I look in the webapps folder in the running Tomcat server, there is no evidence that the webapp was ever deployed.

The next thing I checked was the logfile (.metadata/.log in the root of the workspace looking for a possible stacktrace. I found no errors reported of stacktraces.

So that leads me to conclude that some plugin installed recently effectively breaks Eclipse's ability to deploy a webapp to the server. I'm running Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers, version: Indigo Service Release 2. I have SpringSource, Maven (m2e), AspectJ, VMWare and a host of others that are added beyond the actual distro version of Eclipse.

Does anyone know of any plugins that could cause the symptoms I'm seeing? Or, barring that, is there a simple way that I can figure the order in which I installed the various plugins so that I can back them out one at a time starting with the most recent?

Thanks,

Rob Tanner
Linfield College
Re: Can't get my webapps to launch from Eclipse [message #882224 is a reply to message #881602] Wed, 06 June 2012 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Thanks,

Rob Tanner
Linfield College
Re: Can't get my webapps to launch from Eclipse [message #882474 is a reply to message #882224] Wed, 06 June 2012 14:22 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hi,

There is an eclipse newsgroup for this. It is the eclipse.webtools.

But, open your server (From the Servers view, not the server.xml). There
is a checkbox near the lower left that says something along the lines of
work out of your workspace. When this checkbox is checked it allows you
to launch the server and have the server work directly out of the bin
directories of your workspace. This allows you to launch in debug mode
and make changes to your code and see them immediately. If you don't do
this then every time you make a change it needs to move everything over
to the tomcat apps directory. This is a major time killer. It is better
to work directly out of your workspace instead.

Rich
Previous Topic:Help with gui
Next Topic:ASPECTJ Internal Compiler Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 13:17:51 GMT 2024