Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » SWTBot » swtbot with non-default target platform
swtbot with non-default target platform [message #10491] Tue, 16 December 2008 15:56 Go to next message
Jonas Pfannschmidt is currently offline Jonas PfannschmidtFriend
Messages: 2
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
At my job we don't use the default eclipse target platform. So, while
playing around with swtbot (version 2), I tried to get the rcpmail sample
running with a different target platform.

It suprised me, that I have to add net.sf.swtbot.eclipse.ui to the target
platform. Otherwise I get this error message: Application
"net.sf.swtbot.eclipse.ui.swtbottestapplication" could not be found in the
registry

net.sf.swtbot.eclipse.ui depends on a lot of plugins. I would prefer not
to add them to my target platform.

As far as I understand, net.sf.swtbot.eclipse.ui starts the tests in a
separate thread. Therefore it has to be installed in the running eclipse,
from which the tests are started. But I don't understand why I need to put
it in my target platform.

Can someone clear this up for me?


Thanks,
Jonas
Re: swtbot with non-default target platform [message #10524 is a reply to message #10491] Tue, 16 December 2008 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ketan Padegaonkar is currently offline Ketan PadegaonkarFriend
Messages: 873
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi Jonas,

You would infact need all the SWTBot plugins on the target platform.
This includes the ui plugin and net.sf.swtbot.finder and
net.sf.swtbot.eclipse.finder in addition to the dependencies for swtbot.

I've tried to minimize the dependencies of net.sf.swtbot.eclipse.ui, but
it still pulls in quite some dependencies. Any ideas around reducing
these dependencies are welcome. I'm thinking about splitting the plugin
into two, with one containing the actual UI that's needed in the
runtime, and the other containing the swtbottstapplication, and is
lightweight.

If packaging your plugins is your concern, then here's what I recommend:
Create two features com.foo.example and com.foo.example.test. The test
feature is what contains the test plugins and swtbot, and the is
dependent on the actual feature that contains your application.

-- Ketan

On 16/12/08 21:26, Jonas Pfannschmidt wrote:
> At my job we don't use the default eclipse target platform. So, while
> playing around with swtbot (version 2), I tried to get the rcpmail
> sample running with a different target platform.
>
> It suprised me, that I have to add net.sf.swtbot.eclipse.ui to the
> target platform. Otherwise I get this error message: Application
> "net.sf.swtbot.eclipse.ui.swtbottestapplication" could not be found in
> the registry
>
> net.sf.swtbot.eclipse.ui depends on a lot of plugins. I would prefer not
> to add them to my target platform.
>
> As far as I understand, net.sf.swtbot.eclipse.ui starts the tests in a
> separate thread. Therefore it has to be installed in the running
> eclipse, from which the tests are started. But I don't understand why I
> need to put it in my target platform.
>
> Can someone clear this up for me?
>
>
> Thanks,
> Jonas
>
Re: swtbot with non-default target platform [message #10589 is a reply to message #10524] Wed, 17 December 2008 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ketan Patel is currently offline Ketan PatelFriend
Messages: 68
Registered: July 2009
Member
It would be nice if the UI and runtime parts are into different plugins or
even features. I actually modified the eclipse bot feature to remove the
pde runtime dependency because it was not part of target platform.
Re: swtbot with non-default target platform [message #10621 is a reply to message #10589] Wed, 17 December 2008 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ketan Padegaonkar is currently offline Ketan PadegaonkarFriend
Messages: 873
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Can you file a patch on bugs.eclipse.org, and I can take a look at it.

-- Ketan

On 17/12/08 05:36, Ketan Patel wrote:
> It would be nice if the UI and runtime parts are into different plugins
> or even features. I actually modified the eclipse bot feature to remove
> the pde runtime dependency because it was not part of target platform.
>
Re: swtbot with non-default target platform [message #10653 is a reply to message #10621] Wed, 17 December 2008 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ketan Patel is currently offline Ketan PatelFriend
Messages: 68
Registered: July 2009
Member
I don't know how useful it would be because all i did was comment out the
pde runtime plugin as required in the feature.xml since we don't use pde
to run tests.

I didn't touch the plugins at all so I don't think I have what you might
be thinking.
Re: swtbot with non-default target platform [message #10684 is a reply to message #10653] Wed, 17 December 2008 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ketan Padegaonkar is currently offline Ketan PadegaonkarFriend
Messages: 873
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Perhaps I should create yet another feature that'll allow headless run
and does not depend on pde but just a bunch of minimal features.

-- Ketan

On 17/12/08 08:26, Ketan Patel wrote:
> I don't know how useful it would be because all i did was comment out
> the pde runtime plugin as required in the feature.xml since we don't use
> pde to run tests.
>
> I didn't touch the plugins at all so I don't think I have what you might
> be thinking.
Re: swtbot with non-default target platform [message #10781 is a reply to message #10684] Thu, 18 December 2008 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ketan Patel is currently offline Ketan PatelFriend
Messages: 68
Registered: July 2009
Member
I don't think that is needed...I mean anyone can create their own feature
to include what they need. That's not a big deal as long as the plugins
are broken up right.

What you have right now is fine with me.
Re: swtbot with non-default target platform [message #11955 is a reply to message #10589] Fri, 19 December 2008 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonas Pfannschmidt is currently offline Jonas PfannschmidtFriend
Messages: 2
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
I also think it would be a good idea too separate ui and a small
swtbottstapplication.

For now I will use Ketan's approach with two features. This will make it a
bit easier to handle all needed plugins.

Thanks,
Jonas
Re: swtbot with non-default target platform [message #11968 is a reply to message #11955] Fri, 19 December 2008 10:45 Go to previous message
Ketan Padegaonkar is currently offline Ketan PadegaonkarFriend
Messages: 873
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I've already checked this into SVN.

Expect a working build this weekend or early next week.

-- Ketan

On 19/12/08 15:11, Jonas Pfannschmidt wrote:
> I also think it would be a good idea too separate ui and a small
> swtbottstapplication.
>
> For now I will use Ketan's approach with two features. This will make it
> a bit easier to handle all needed plugins.
>
> Thanks,
> Jonas
>
Previous Topic:Please file all bugs on bugs.eclipse.org
Next Topic:Run SWT Bot outside of Eclipse
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Sep 17 08:00:21 GMT 2021

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02188 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top