Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Java Perspective broken after Eclipse update!(Eclipse updated some packages, restarted, and the Java perspective doesn't work anymore.)
Java Perspective broken after Eclipse update! [message #870030] Sat, 05 May 2012 21:15 Go to next message
Igor Ganapolsky is currently offline Igor GanapolskyFriend

Hello,
I am very disappointed in Eclipse. I am running 3.7.2 on Ubuntu Linux. Everything was working fine, until I foolishly today decided to update some packages - by clicking Help > Check for updates. My eclipse updated, then rebooted, and now the Java perspective doesn't work at all! It does no syntax highlighting, auto-completion, or anything like that. In fact it looks like a plain old text editor. I don't understand what is the point of using Eclipse IDE, if it now looks like a text editor, after they fucked up their update process??

Thank you,
Igor
  • Attachment: eclipse.png
    (Size: 141.09KB, Downloaded 209 times)
Re: Java Perspective broken after Eclipse update! [message #870033 is a reply to message #870030] Sat, 05 May 2012 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
On 05/05/2012 04:15 PM, Igor Ganapolsky wrote:
> Hello,
> I am very disappointed in Eclipse. I am running 3.7.2 on Ubuntu Linux. Everything was working fine, until I foolishly today decided to update some packages - by clicking Help> Check for updates. My eclipse updated, then rebooted, and now the Java perspective doesn't work at all! It does no syntax highlighting, auto-completion, or anything like that. In fact it looks like a plain old text editor. I don't understand what is the point of using Eclipse IDE, if it now looks like a text editor, after they fucked up their update process??
>
> Thank you,
> Igor
You may have inadvertently opened the file in the generic text editor.
Close the file, right click on it in the Package Explorer, select Open
with, select Java Editor.
Re: Java Perspective broken after Eclipse update! [message #870035 is a reply to message #870033] Sat, 05 May 2012 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Igor Ganapolsky is currently offline Igor GanapolskyFriend

No buddy, that's not it. When I right-click on the file and select 'open with', I get:
-text editor
-system editor
-default editor.

Java is nowhere to be seen anymore. In fact, my Android perspective doesn't work anymore either. I think this Eclipse update is totally fucked up. I guess I will have to uninstall and reinstall Eclipse entirely. I really wish their team would do more unit and regression testing before releasing such a fucked up update.
Re: Java Perspective broken after Eclipse update! [message #870095 is a reply to message #870035] Sun, 06 May 2012 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Igor, an update of Eclipse involves many factors and from what you wrote we only know that you are using Eclipse 3.7.2 plus some Android tooling.

To find out what happened, the following information might be useful:
- any error messages in .metadata/.log inside your workspace directory
- which Eclipse package did you install (like "Classic", "IDE for Java Developers"...)?
- exact list of software installed, obtained e.g. by:
-- File > Export > Install > Installed Software Items to File
-- plus a full listing of eclipse/plugins

best,
Stephan
Re: Java Perspective broken after Eclipse update! [message #870187 is a reply to message #870095] Mon, 07 May 2012 08:06 Go to previous message
Dani Megert is currently offline Dani MegertFriend
On 06.05.2012 14:31, Stephan Herrmann wrote:
> Igor, an update of Eclipse involves many factors and from what you
> wrote we only know that you are using Eclipse 3.7.2 plus some Android
> tooling.
>
> To find out what happened, the following information might be useful:
> - any error messages in .metadata/.log inside your workspace directory
> - which Eclipse package did you install (like "Classic", "IDE for Java
> Developers"...)?
> - exact list of software installed, obtained e.g. by:
> -- File > Export > Install > Installed Software Items to File