Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Test and Performance Tools Platform (TPTP) » [Linux] Several issues...
[Linux] Several issues... [message #111955] Fri, 07 September 2007 10:11 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: cyril.jaquier.[nospam]bluewin.ch

Hi all,

I'm trying to get TPTP working on my Ubuntu Gutsy workstation again. I'm
using Eclipse 3.3 with the latest version of TPTP from Europa.

As the AC installed with the feature seems to miss some files, I
downloaded agntctrl.linux_ia32-TPTP-4.4.0.2.zip from TPTP website.

It seems that the scripts in bin/ use some bash syntax. dash (which is
the sh interpreter on Ubuntu) does not like them. Using bash fixes the
problem:

sed -i "s/\/bin\/sh/\/bin\/bash/" *.sh

Starting ACServer works. It seems to be running correctly:

$ netstat -tlupen|grep ACServer
(Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:10002 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 1000 690171 28773/ACServer
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:10006 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 1000 690167 28773/ACServer
tcp6 0 0 :::10005 :::*
LISTEN 1000 690179 28773/ACServer

However, SampleClient fails:

$ SampleClient

Connected to the Agent Controller on "localhost" at port number 10006
ERROR: Unable to get agent org.eclipse.tptp.TimeCollector
Press any key to exit...

A quick look at the log file shows the problem:

PC startProcess: Error (6006), invalid executable '.\TimeCollector.exe'

It seems that there are some hard-coded Windows paths in this application.

I tried to profile two applications. Both launchers work perfectly in
standard or debug mode. The first one is an "OSGi Framework" launcher:

The configuration of the monitoring option in the launcher property
seems to work fine. I only enable "Memory Analysis". "Test Availability"
returns successfully. However, it seems that TPTP does not start the
right things. None of our bundles are installed and after a while, the
AC crashes:

*** glibc detected *** /home/XXX/linux/jdk/jre/bin/java: corrupted
double-linked list: 0x0b743bd8 ***
======= Backtrace: =========
/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6[0xb7e2d3f9]
/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6[0xb7e2f1bd]
/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_malloc+0x90)[0xb7e30fc0]
/home/XXX/linux/jdk/jre/lib/i386/libverify.so[0xb50cac09]
/home/XXX/linux/jdk/jre/lib/i386/libverify.so(VerifyClassFor MajorVersion+0x170)[0xb50c6340]
/home/XXX/linux/jdk/jre/lib/i386/libjava.so(VerifyClassCodes ForMajorVersion+0x3b)[0xb50b003b]
/home/XXX/linux/jdk/jre/lib/i386/client/libjvm.so[0xb793949b ]
....

I have disabled the IAC as it does not seem to work (TPTP always tries
to start ACServer). How can I found out if IAC is working correctly?

Thanks,

Cyril Jaquier
Re: [Linux] Several issues... [message #111969 is a reply to message #111955] Fri, 07 September 2007 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: james.blackburn.broadcom.com

Hi,

There are a number of bugs in the Agent Controller that make profiling on
Linux problematic. (All the showstoppers I've encountered so far have
apparently been fixed in the latest development build
TPTP-4.4.1-200709060100).

> However, SampleClient fails:
>
> $ SampleClient
>
> Connected to the Agent Controller on "localhost" at port number 10006
> ERROR: Unable to get agent org.eclipse.tptp.TimeCollector
> Press any key to exit...
>
> A quick look at the log file shows the problem:
>
> PC startProcess: Error (6006), invalid executable '.\TimeCollector.exe'
>
> It seems that there are some hard-coded Windows paths in this application.

The documentation is slightly disjointed, but if you have a look in the
readme that comes with the standalone Agent Controller (bin/readme.txt),
you'll find this:
Step A. Generate Configuration Files
--------------------------------

1. Run <INSTALL-HOME>/bin/SetConfig.{bat|sh} (Windows|Linux) (FROM THE
<INSTALL-HOME>/bin DIRECTORY!)
2. Edit agents/org.eclipse.tptp.TimeCollector/agent.xml if on Linux
a. For Linux, make the value for the "Application executable" tag be
"TimeCollector" (drop the '.\' prefix and '.exe' suffix)
b. Do not remove the ConfigFile line from this file on any platform! Even
though the file referenced does not exist, the line must be here or
else
the AC will not function properly.

Changing the relevant XML files should fix this issue.

> I have disabled the IAC as it does not seem to work (TPTP always tries to
> start ACServer). How can I found out if IAC is working correctly?

I'm not sure about using it for OSGI stuff, I've used it briefly for
debugging Eclipse plugins, with mixed success (filing a number of bugs).
When the agent controller crashes, it seems to be difficult to get it going
again. (Generally I have to quite Eclipse, remove the /tmp/IBMRAC directory,
and try again).

The Test Availability button in the Launch Configuration is the best way
I've found for checking if the agent controller is alive. (The Test
Connection in the Preferences always seems to say OK for me, irrespective of
whether the agent controller is working or not...).

There was some advice on using the IAC. I read somewhere that the update
manager doesn't correctly chmod the agent controller as exectuable, which is
the case if you install it by expanding a tar file. Have you tried doing
that? Also ensure that the TEMP environment variable is set before you
launch Eclipse.

Hope this helps,

James
Re: [Linux] Several issues... [message #112008 is a reply to message #111955] Fri, 07 September 2007 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Igor Alelekov is currently offline Igor AlelekovFriend
Messages: 139
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi,
please read the readme.txt file to get TimeCollector worked.
Regards,
Igor
Re: [Linux] Several issues... [message #112104 is a reply to message #112008] Mon, 10 September 2007 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: cyril.jaquier.[nospam]bluewin.ch

> please read the readme.txt file to get TimeCollector worked.

Thank you ;) Sorry but I have read this:

http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/home/downloads/installguide/agen tcontroller_44/linux/getting_started.html

Regards,

Cyril Jaquier
Re: [Linux] Several issues... [message #112117 is a reply to message #111969] Mon, 10 September 2007 08:55 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: cyril.jaquier.[nospam]bluewin.ch

Hi James,

Thank you for your answer.

> There are a number of bugs in the Agent Controller that make profiling on
> Linux problematic. (All the showstoppers I've encountered so far have
> apparently been fixed in the latest development build
> TPTP-4.4.1-200709060100).
>

I will wait a bit. I don't really need TPTP right now.

> The documentation is slightly disjointed, but if you have a look in the
> readme that comes with the standalone Agent Controller (bin/readme.txt),
> you'll find this:
> Step A. Generate Configuration Files
> --------------------------------
>
> 1. Run <INSTALL-HOME>/bin/SetConfig.{bat|sh} (Windows|Linux) (FROM THE
> <INSTALL-HOME>/bin DIRECTORY!)
> 2. Edit agents/org.eclipse.tptp.TimeCollector/agent.xml if on Linux
> a. For Linux, make the value for the "Application executable" tag be
> "TimeCollector" (drop the '.\' prefix and '.exe' suffix)
> b. Do not remove the ConfigFile line from this file on any platform! Even
> though the file referenced does not exist, the line must be here or
> else
> the AC will not function properly.
>
> Changing the relevant XML files should fix this issue.
>

Ok. Thank you :) I haven't try it yet.

> There was some advice on using the IAC. I read somewhere that the update
> manager doesn't correctly chmod the agent controller as exectuable, which is
> the case if you install it by expanding a tar file. Have you tried doing
> that? Also ensure that the TEMP environment variable is set before you
> launch Eclipse.
>

I have installed TPTP using the Eclipse Update Manager. I have set the
execution flag on all the .so files. I have set a TEMP and even TMP
environment variable before starting eclipse. When I open the "Profile
Dialog", Eclipse seems to start RAServer, gives me the exceptions below
and burn all my CPU cycles. If I click on "Test availability", the test
report success. The only way to stop the CPU burning is to quit Eclipse :/

!ENTRY org.eclipse.tptp.platform.iac.administrator 4 0 2007-09-10
10:40:53.087
!MESSAGE [startIAC: Error Stream] RAServer generated the following
output: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/eclipse/core/runtime/IProgressMonitor


!ENTRY org.eclipse.tptp.platform.iac.administrator 4 0 2007-09-10
10:40:53.139
!MESSAGE [startIAC: Error Stream] RAServer generated the following
output: at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethods0(Native Method)


!ENTRY org.eclipse.tptp.platform.iac.administrator 4 0 2007-09-10
10:40:53.170
!MESSAGE [startIAC: Error Stream] RAServer generated the following
output: at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Class.java:2395)


!ENTRY org.eclipse.tptp.platform.iac.administrator 4 0 2007-09-10
10:40:53.211
!MESSAGE [startIAC: Error Stream] RAServer generated the following
output: at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredMethod(Class.java:1907)


!ENTRY org.eclipse.tptp.platform.iac.administrator 4 0 2007-09-10
10:40:53.243
!MESSAGE [startIAC: Error Stream] RAServer generated the following
output: at
org.eclipse.hyades.internal.collection.framework.FileClientH andlerExtendedImpl.executeCommand(FileClientHandlerExtendedI mpl.java:134)


!ENTRY org.eclipse.tptp.platform.iac.administrator 4 0 2007-09-10
10:40:53.282
!MESSAGE [startIAC: Error Stream] RAServer generated the following
output: at
org.eclipse.hyades.internal.collection.framework.FileClientH andlerExtendedImpl.run(FileClientHandlerExtendedImpl.java:28 9)


!ENTRY org.eclipse.tptp.platform.iac.administrator 4 0 2007-09-10
10:40:53.313
!MESSAGE [startIAC: Error Stream] RAServer generated the following
output: at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)


Any suggestions?

Regards,

Cyril Jaquier
Previous Topic:Remotely profiling web application on websphere
Next Topic:Profiling application plug-ins that use Log4j
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Aug 21 09:04:31 GMT 2019

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01797 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top