Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Unable to "Install New Software" on Eclipse Indigo
Unable to "Install New Software" on Eclipse Indigo [message #859807] Fri, 27 April 2012 20:29 Go to next message
George Milliner is currently offline George MillinerFriend
This is weird. Two weeks ago I downloaded a brand new, completely vanilla install of Eclipse SDK 3.7.2 (Indigo) to run here on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine. My intention was to then use Install New Software to add PHP support to the IDE. Unfortunately, I have never been able to get that - or any other - software to download to Eclipse at all.

The weird thing is: When Eclipse contacts the update URL, but it never does get the list of software. It just takes forever fetching - gets about 40% done (or claims to) - and then hangs.

Actually that is not quite true. I have tried this process multiple times per day for the past two weeks and three of those times - seemingly completely at random - I did get the list of available software. I did choose PHP from that list, accept the terms, etc and start the download process. None of those downloads ever finished. The process always hung at various percentages of completion, always less than 50%.

I'm boggled. How can I "sort of" see the server and "partly" download the software? It should be all or nothing, right?

BTW: I can't successfully run Check for Updates either. Doing so also hangs partial done as well.

I've never had this happen to me before. This is a brand new computer, true, but I've since reverted to Eclipse Helios (built for PHP) and that is running fine.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

--Geo
Re: Unable to "Install New Software" on Eclipse Indigo [message #863662 is a reply to message #859807] Sun, 29 April 2012 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Moo is currently offline Bill MooFriend
I had the same issue and I suspect it is down to IPV6 so add the following to your eclipse's start up shortcut.

-vmargs -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

so the start line reads

/path_to_eclipse/eclipse -vmargs -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

Hope this helps.

--
Bill
Re: Unable to "Install New Software" on Eclipse Indigo [message #865832 is a reply to message #863662] Mon, 30 April 2012 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
George Milliner is currently offline George MillinerFriend
Yep. That worked. Thanks for the info. I would never have figured that out on my own.

--Geo
Re: Unable to "Install New Software" on Eclipse Indigo [message #866047 is a reply to message #863662] Mon, 30 April 2012 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Flo Bayer is currently offline Flo BayerFriend
Bill Moo wrote on Sun, 29 April 2012 11:43
I had the same issue and I suspect it is down to IPV6 so add the following to your eclipse's start up shortcut.

-vmargs -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

so the start line reads

/path_to_eclipse/eclipse -vmargs -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

Hope this helps.

--
Bill

So that's the solution to my problem:
eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/340432/

Thanks!
Re: Unable to "Install New Software" on Eclipse Indigo [message #867961 is a reply to message #866047] Tue, 01 May 2012 15:18 Go to previous message
Denis Roy is currently offline Denis RoyFriend

Great info here... Thanks Bill.

Denis Roy
Eclipse Webmaster -- webmaster@eclipse.org
Previous Topic:update offline?
Next Topic:Problem between mac and Windows
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:26:57 GMT 2024