Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Can't set breakpoints
Can't set breakpoints [message #849154] Wed, 18 April 2012 23:30 Go to next message
Paul DeRocco is currently offline Paul DeRoccoFriend
Eclipse: Indigo 3.7.2
Package: Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Linux Developers

I'm debugging a simple C++ command line program. It compiles fine. When I hit the Debug button, it highlights the first line of main(). I can single-step with F5/F6. I can inspect data. But I cannot set breakpoints. Double-clicking in the left margin does bupkis.

The Run menu contains a Breakpoint Types item, which opens a submenu that simply says None Available.

I redownloaded the Eclipse package. No change. There are no other add-ons or plug-ins that didn't come with the package. There is nothing funny about my project configuration, which is about as simple as it can be.

What do I do now?
Re: Can't set breakpoints [message #849790 is a reply to message #849154] Thu, 19 April 2012 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend
> The Run menu contains a Breakpoint Types item, which opens a submenu that simply says None Available.

That is a problem.
Are tracepoints available as a type of breakpoint after you enable them?
Here is how to enable them, look at the part: "Enable the C/C++ Tracepoint functionality"

http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ#How_can_I_trace_my_application_using_C.2FC.2B.2B_Tracepoints.3F

Marc
Re: Can't set breakpoints [message #850584 is a reply to message #849790] Fri, 20 April 2012 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul DeRocco is currently offline Paul DeRoccoFriend
They weren't available. However, I nuked the project and recreated it, and now breakpoints work. I half wish I know what went wrong, but it's the sort of thing that only happens once when you're a newbie, so I won't bother trying to recreate the problem.
Re: Can't set breakpoints [message #1099295 is a reply to message #849154] Sun, 01 September 2013 13:05 Go to previous message
Sergey Lukashev is currently offline Sergey LukashevFriend
I had the same problem. Solved by opening debugging configuration and changing process launcher to "Standard create process launcher" after clicking on the button "Select other" at the bottom of the window.
Why doesn't it work out of the box? Someone might have spent several hours or days figuring this out. Hope this saves someone's day.
Previous Topic:builds stops showing outputs in the console
Next Topic:Indexer not working
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:58:55 GMT 2024