Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Managed Make calls linker before all modules have been compiled(Managed Make calls linker before all modules have been compiled)
Managed Make calls linker before all modules have been compiled [message #848088] Tue, 17 April 2012 23:51 Go to next message
Bob Furber is currently offline Bob FurberFriend
I am using Eclipse Version: 3.3.0 with CDT supplied by Technologic Systems (embeddedarm.com) to support their arm based single board computers.

When Eclipse attempts to build a large project using Managed Make, it only compiles 8 out of about 50 .c files to .o files, before calling the linker to link these object files. The linker promptly generates a ton of "undefined reference to <variable_name>"; variables corresponding to modules that have not yet been compiled.

I am completely baffled why the Managed Make is not compiling all the .c files to .o files before attempting to link the .o files. What is also puzzling is trying to figure out how the Managed Make decides the order of compilation.

I should mention the .c and .h files are stored in a number of folders under the src folder. But, this has not been a problem compiling programs with a small number of modules.
Re: Managed Make calls linker before all modules have been compiled [message #850371 is a reply to message #848088] Fri, 20 April 2012 01:51 Go to previous message
Bob Furber is currently offline Bob FurberFriend
Doh!

It turns out that all the .c files compiled to .o files before the linker was called. The problem was there were a number of .C files (Capital C) that were not compiled. They were ignored by the builder.

While Windows is not case sensitive, TSEclipse running under CygWin is case sensitive.
Previous Topic:ambiguous unresolved functions
Next Topic:Editing C Files Programatically
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 16:30:16 GMT 2024