Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Graphiti » Integrating Kieler algorithms into Graphiti editors
Integrating Kieler algorithms into Graphiti editors [message #833990] Sun, 01 April 2012 08:13 Go to next message
Jayant Gupta is currently offline Jayant GuptaFriend
Hi all,

I am a newbie to Graphiti. I am having the following task at hand :

1. I already have a graphical editor (made using Graphiti) for diagrammatically representing and editing my Domain Model (which is being expressed using a DSL made in Xtext).

2. I have to provide a feature of automatic layouting in this graphical editor using the well-known KIELER[1] framework which provides algorithms for automatic layouting.

Could anyone give me an idea as to how this task could be implemented.

I have gathered the following hints and information in this respect:

1. Few of the previous posts in the forum says that the development team is working on providing such a kind of integration in Graphiti ( i.e. a implementation of Kieler layouting algorithms for graphical editor made in Graphiti )
www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/629616/

2. The page no. 17 of "Graphiti 0.8.0 Release Review" says that Kieler project has integrated their layouting algorithms with Graphiti
www.eclipse.org/graphiti/reviews/0.8.0ReleaseReview.pdf

3. The Graphiti FAQs no. 2 provides a snippet for integrating a layouter which comes with GEF into Graphiti.
www.eclipse.org/graphiti/developers/faq.php

4. The Kieler project page provides a plugin (through svn) in this regard.
rtsys.informatik.uni-kiel.de/svn/kieler/trunk/plugins/de.cau.cs.kieler.kaom.graphiti/

Even with these resources in hand, i am unable to understand how would the above mentioned task be implemented.

It might be very straight forward but I will be highly grateful to you, if you could help me, considering me as a newbie.

Thanking you in advance.

Kindly Regards,
Jayant

[1]trac.rtsys.informatik.uni-kiel.de/trac/kieler
Re: Integrating Kieler algorithms into Graphiti editors [message #834644 is a reply to message #833990] Mon, 02 April 2012 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sylvain EVEILLARD is currently offline Sylvain EVEILLARDFriend
In fact, for most of the layouts, Kieler is using OGDF.
So, in Kieler, nodes and edges are sent in the form of an xml file to OGDF through JNI.
OGDF then calculates the positions of the nodes and edges according to the selected layout mechanism.
Those positions are then transformed according to the system in Kieler (in fact in OGDF a node is located by its center and it's not the same mechanism in Kieler if I remember well).

So you have two solutions, either you use OGDF through Kieler in which case you have to transform your own nodes and edges to the equivalent in Kieler. Then Kieler will use his mechanism and you then get the new positions of the Kieler elements and you have to report them on your own elements.

You can also directly access OGDF using the mechanism of Kieler. This has the advantage of being more direct than with Kieler as you don't have to use Kieler elements.

In both case, take care that OGDF is using a GPL licence...
Re: Integrating Kieler algorithms into Graphiti editors [message #1081579 is a reply to message #834644] Wed, 07 August 2013 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Juliane Mueller is currently offline Juliane MuellerFriend
Hello,

I have the same problem like Jayant.
I have my own diagram made with graphiti and want to implement some layoutalgorithms from KIELER. Is there any tutorial, example or something to do this?
It's very difficult for me to understand this only with the given help.

Regards, Juliane
Re: Integrating Kieler algorithms into Graphiti editors [message #1425417 is a reply to message #1081579] Wed, 17 September 2014 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anudeep arya is currently offline anudeep aryaFriend
H,

can anyone please reply to the question. I want to integrate keiler layouting in my graphiti.But there is no proper documentation anywhere for this.

Any clue would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Adnudeep.
Re: Integrating Kieler algorithms into Graphiti editors [message #1425478 is a reply to message #1425417] Wed, 17 September 2014 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Wenz is currently offline Michael WenzFriend
Hi,

have you seen question 2 in the Graphiti FAQs at
https://www.eclipse.org/graphiti/developers/faq.php ?

It shows how to basically integrate layouters in Graphiti. For KIELER
specific questions however, I have to forward to the KIELER documenation and
support, because I have not yet worked with that.
http://rtsys.informatik.uni-kiel.de/confluence/display/KIELER/Home

Michael
Re: Integrating Kieler algorithms into Graphiti editors [message #1425511 is a reply to message #1425478] Wed, 17 September 2014 12:28 Go to previous message
anudeep arya is currently offline anudeep aryaFriend
HI Micheal,

Thanks for the quick response.We already have draw2d layouting in our graphiti diagram.But since the diagrams are so big we want a more efficient routing algorithm. KEILER provides many algoritms for layouting but there are barely any examples showing how to use keiler in graphiti editor(generated from XTEXT EDITOR).

Can you please point me out some links where some simple examples are there showing this.

Regards,
Anudeep.
Previous Topic:Moving ContainerShape onto Shape
Next Topic:can I use graphiti as a lib in standalone app?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 09:48:31 GMT 2024