Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » difficulty with remote debug(remote debug)
difficulty with remote debug [message #821004] Wed, 14 March 2012 20:51 Go to next message
Mark Lehky is currently offline Mark LehkyFriend
Hello all.

I am having problems getting remote debug to work; my first time. Embarrassed

My end goal is to be able to debug Groovy scripts in SoapUI. SoapUI is a Java application that has a built in Groovy interpreter, but not a debugger.
I started with the discussion at www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-eclipse-javadebug.
1. I added the -Xdebug -Xrunjdwp parameters to the SoapUI startup script.
2. I created the Remote Java Application debug configuration in Eclipse.
3. I start SoapUI and see the "Listening for transport ..." message, as expected.
4. I start the debug configuration in Eclipse, and my application starts up.
5. I select a script in SoapUI for which I have a breakpoint set up.
6. When I hit the breakpoint, execution does stop, but I get another panel that simply says: "Source not found." and a button labeled "Edit Source Lookup Path...".

In my project, under Configure Build Path, where I specify the soapui.jar, I also gave it the Source attachment as a folder. In the Eclipse editor I am able to use functions such as "Open Declaration (F3)" and navigate to the correct source.

Any advice where to go from here? What am I missing?

TIA for any advice.
Re: difficulty with remote debug [message #821549 is a reply to message #821004] Thu, 15 March 2012 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
One thing to check is whether the SoapUI classes have been compiled with debugging information or not. If the classes don't have debugging information, you won't be able to use the source to debug the code. You may need to rebuild the jar file yourself with debugging turned on.
Re: difficulty with remote debug [message #821596 is a reply to message #821549] Thu, 15 March 2012 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx David. That must be it!
The classes that I am using are official release; I would expect they have been compiled without debug for speed. Sad
Re: difficulty with remote debug [message #821670 is a reply to message #821596] Thu, 15 March 2012 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So maybe not.
In the Debug pane I can see the entire stack of where the breakpoint stopped the application. I can click on various levels of the stack, and it takes me to the appropriate line of code. UNTIL I click on the topmost level, which is suppose to be my custom script, and that is where it is unable to find the source.
I'm not sure if I am describing clearly what I see ... I could post screenshots, if that would actually help.

TIA for any advice.
Re: difficulty with remote debug [message #821767 is a reply to message #821670] Thu, 15 March 2012 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
Are you saying that the top stack frame is in a Groovy script? If so, then the Java Debugger won't be likely to help you. The Debugger can only show you Java code. It won't be able to figure out the Groovy script.
Re: difficulty with remote debug [message #821810 is a reply to message #821767] Thu, 15 March 2012 21:10 Go to previous message
Groovy - Java same difference. I have the Groovy-Eclipse plugin. When I have just a stand-alone Groovy script, I can debug that in the Java debugger.
Previous Topic:Workspace -> can I do this?
Next Topic:Setup Python & pyDev IDE environment in Eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 13:39:35 GMT 2024