Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Component Factories and multiple services
Component Factories and multiple services [message #813870] Mon, 05 March 2012 20:07
abadamcd1 abadamcd1 is currently offline abadamcd1 abadamcd1Friend
I've been trying to grasp how to use component factories with this application I'm developing.

There are 3 services that need to work together:
A socket service that handles connections to a remote server.
A communications parser that parses a custom protocol I have to program to.
A device manager that keeps track of the states of various custom devices on the remote server.

Basically the station manager relies on the parsed commands from the comm processor, which gets raw protocol packets from the socket service.

Getting these to work together has been easy. What I'm having trouble with is if I wanted to do this on multiple servers. So there would be a socket component, com parser, and device manager created for each remote server.

I've thought about doing this with component factories, since the number of remote servers could expand easily. What I'm having trouble conceptualizing is how to specifically chain each service to one another.

For instance:
Server 1 <-- sock service 1 <-- com processor 1 <-- device manager 1
Server 2 <-- sock service 2 <-- com processor 2 <-- device manager 2
Server n <-- sock service n <-- com processor n <-- device manager n

What I ideally want to do is have some preferences saved that stores which servers the user wants to connect to and then make a chain like above for each of the servers.

I have a number of ideas on how to do this, but I was wondering if there was a suggested practice for having factory components that depend on other factory component services.
Previous Topic:Pre-execute commands in Osgi console
Next Topic:Unzip resources from jar bundle (e.g. in ...\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\yyy)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Oct 16 23:55:09 GMT 2021