Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Error: Selection must be WSDL(Need help with Web Service wizard error)
Error: Selection must be WSDL [message #810044] Wed, 29 February 2012 16:01 Go to next message
Gary C is currently offline Gary CFriend
I am trying to develop a web service project with Tomcat 6, Eclipse 3.7.2 and CXF 2.4.6. It seems that when I create a brand new project I can successfully create a web service from in it one time. After that, if I make any change at all to the service interface and try to re-generate the service it fails with the "Selection must be WSDL" error message.

I have been advised to delete all of the artifacts generated by the first run of the Web Service wizard, including the annotations it added to my class, before running the wizard a second time, but that didn't solve the problem. The frustrating thing is that the error message itself tells me nothing about what the problem is.

"Selection must be WSDL" - does anyone know what this message is trying to tell me? The only thing that has been "selected" is the Java class that implements my service. The wizard is generating the WSDL from this class, so how can it be "selected"?
Re: Error: Selection must be WSDL [message #810074 is a reply to message #810044] Wed, 29 February 2012 16:55 Go to previous message
Gary C is currently offline Gary CFriend
OK, if anyone is interested I think I figured out my problem. What I failed to notice before was that an exception was thrown in my start-up code when the Tomcat server was being launched. I had registered a LifecycleListener to do some initialization, and it unfortunately had a bug in it. Unfortunately, when my application failed to launch it apparently had a bad downstream effect on the Web Services wizard, which in response put up some generic (and therefore useless) error message. The console output from the Tomcat launch had the information I needed to see the failure. I'll know to look there from now on.
Previous Topic:CXF Java2WS and WSDL2Java Problems
Next Topic:How to visit prototype with ASTVisitor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:47:13 GMT 2024