Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » when bundles are extracted?
when bundles are extracted? [message #96153] Wed, 29 August 2007 08:28 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: jacek.pospychala.pl.ibm.com

Hello,

I noticed, that my bundle delivered as a jar is extracted to the
eclipse/configuration/bundles folder when it's started.
It contains some jars inside on it's classpath.

I wonder, which exactly of Equinox bundles and under what circumstances,
decides to do this unzip?
Also, are there any configuration options, to disable/enable it?

Thanks for your help!
Re: when bundles are extracted? [message #96218 is a reply to message #96153] Wed, 29 August 2007 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: alex_blewitt.yahoo.com

When you install a bundle, if it's part of a feature it has 'unpack=true' or something against the plugin. If so, it will unpack the bundle in the plugins/ directory (e.g. see JUnit,Ant).

However, if you have a bundle that contains a Jar (i.e. bundle-classpath: .,foo.jar) then in order to load 'foo.jar' classes, it must be extracted to a temporary location first. That is done automatically as part of the class loading for the bundle.

The summary is: if your feature contains an unpack, then the Jar is unpacked in the plugins directory. If it is packed, but contains a Jar file, then that is extracted to the configuration/bundles directory when (or just before) a class is loaded from that Jar. If you don't have Jars-in-bundles, you don't get this behaviour.

Alex.
Re: when bundles are extracted? [message #96233 is a reply to message #96218] Wed, 29 August 2007 18:23 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: jacek.pospychala.pl.ibm.com

Thanks Alex,
that's exactly what I was looking for.

Alex Blewitt wrote:
> When you install a bundle, if it's part of a feature it has 'unpack=true' or something against the plugin. If so, it will unpack the bundle in the plugins/ directory (e.g. see JUnit,Ant).
>
> However, if you have a bundle that contains a Jar (i.e. bundle-classpath: .,foo.jar) then in order to load 'foo.jar' classes, it must be extracted to a temporary location first. That is done automatically as part of the class loading for the bundle.
>
> The summary is: if your feature contains an unpack, then the Jar is unpacked in the plugins directory. If it is packed, but contains a Jar file, then that is extracted to the configuration/bundles directory when (or just before) a class is loaded from that Jar. If you don't have Jars-in-bundles, you don't get this behaviour.
>
> Alex.
>
Previous Topic:Problem finding LogReaderService to register LogListener
Next Topic:equinox.security.sample: NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/equinox/security/auth/SecurePlatform
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 12:42:28 GMT 2024